Gmail, iCloud, iPhone Sync- Calender and Contacts

earthshaker78

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I recently transferred from Crackberry to iMore as my 9930 was replaced with my iPhone 5. I'm having a tough time with syncing my contacts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

i manage to sync my iPhone with my Gmail account (thru Exchange) and it give me my contacts and my calendar... But it doesn't give me "Groups". I some times send mass txt/emails and having Groups is very convenient for me.

When I sync with iCloud, I do get groups, which is great but when i make updates on my gmail account, which i do often, it doesn't transfer to my phone.

Is there any way to find a happy median?

Where I can have groups and sync with my gmail?

Can we get gmail/iPhone/iCloud working together?

Thank you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In regard to iCloud, I suggest doing the following:

1 login to your gmail account and export your contact in the vCard format.
2. Login to www.icloud.com and import your gmail contacts.

Afterwards, the contacts will auto-sync to your device.

As for Google groups, *if I'm not mistaken*, you can sync your groups to your device via iTunes.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I didn't think you could sync groups with Google... but the last time I looked into that was about a year ago so things may have changed. I use an app called [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/groups/id407855546?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Groups[/URL] to manage my email... well... groups

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think you could sync groups with Google... but the last time I looked into that was about a year ago so things may have changed. I use an app called [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/groups/id407855546?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Groups[/URL] to manage my email... well... groups

You could very well be right. Still, when you connect your device to a computer (at least via a Mac) and fire up the iTunes app, there is a setting to sync all contacts and/or selected groups so I assumed that would do it. I do not sync to iTunes, but I do transfer purchases and back up my devices with it.

sprintkozy

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
to sync your contacts delete the gmail your already made of your iPhone. Now add another account but you choose exchanger server this time fill out the information and select next. In the server field type m.google.com. Your username is your full gmail address. in the domain field all you do is type he same m.google.com. FInally change description to gmail. This will sync your contacts it may take some time so don't worry. This will also take care of your calendar too. FYI you may need refresh your contacts multiple times depending on how many contacts you have so that they all come threw. Phone >contacts> Groups then hit the refresh button in the top left.

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Can we get gmail/iPhone/iCloud working together?

No, unfortunately multi-account contact sync is not possible in iOS. You have to choose to sync between your iCloud account or your Gmail account.

When I sync with iCloud, I do get groups, which is great but when i make updates on my gmail account, which i do often, it doesn't transfer to my phone.

If you have both Exchange and iCloud sync enabled, you would need to set which is your Default Contacts account on your iPhone to do so go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and under "Contacts" tap on Default - next choose either Exchange or iCloud. If you are often updating your Gmail contacts, I would personally choose Exchange.

If you depend on your Gmail account for contacts and groups, another tip is instead of using Exchange protocol to use CardDAV protocol to sync your contacts. Then contact and group sync works flawlessly both-ways from your Gmail to your iphone and from your iPhone to your Gmail. To set up CardDAV instead of Exchange, have a look here: Syncing iPhone Contacts to Google using CardDAV.

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
uncheck the contacts in your exchange settings. get an app called 'contacts sync' from the App Store.

this works flawlessly for me as far as managing my contcts and groups is concerned.

before doing this you will have to make sure to delete all contacts from icloud else you will end up wth duplicates. hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

uncheck the contacts in your exchange settings. get an app called 'contacts sync' from the App Store.

this works flawlessly for me as far as managing my contcts and groups is concerned.

before doing this you will have to make sure to delete all contacts from icloud else you will end up wth duplicates. hope this helps.