Google account hacked

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, the above just happened.

I recently started using google services on my phone, so i have been typing my password in quite a lot recently. I wanna understand how this happened because I'm very careful.

On googles info page, it's says that hackers can install program's to track what you type, this is why I think my iPhone could be the culprit and I worry it is because I'm jailbroken. They recommend to prevent it happening again. Run a virus checker.

Only other place I have been logging in is at work on a PC?

I know this can happen anywhere on any device. But I just worry my iPhone is more vulnerable because of the jailbreak?

Any idea's and recommendations how I can prevent this from happening again.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well password protection is a serious deal.
You need to make sure that nobody is ever "shoulder surfing" you. Dont type your password in if anyone is looking at you or near you, it's not rude to say please look away or close your eyes, it's safe...
Do not store your passwords on public computers. It is very easy to see stored passwords.
Make sure you have "level 4" passwords...
At least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, one number and one symbol. And do not repeat the characters...
Also don't use the same password for multiple sites...
That being said, you will never be completely safe! Who knows if somebody put a KEYLOGGER on your work pc, or that a-hole developer put a listener in your phone...
But you still have to do all you can to knowingly protect your password... Have a string password, don't let anyone know it, don't write it down, don't store it... Just hope you aren't unlucky!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that.

I recently started using google services on my phone, so i have been typing my password in quite a lot recently. I wanna understand how this happened because I'm very careful.
That will be hard for anyone to truly answer. Do you have your password written down somewhere and is it possible that someone found it and then used it? Are you certain your computer is free from keyloggers and other stuff that might be considered surreptitious?

On googles info page, it's says that hackers can install program's to track what you type, this is why I think my iPhone could be the culprit and I worry it is because I'm jailbroken. They recommend to prevent it happening again. Run a virus checker.
It is possible, but what does your gut tell you?

My initial comment definitely applies to this.

I know this can happen anywhere on any device. But I just worry my iPhone is more vulnerable because of the jailbreak?
You are removing certain limitations when you jailbreak, but that doesn't prove that the problem lies there. Have you thought of returning to stock?

If you truly think this occurred from something you installed via jailbreak then restore your device to stock and reset your google password as well as use it new 2-step verification process.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Enable 2-step authentication. It's a must have these days.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Guys, this is what worries me. I'm like super carful and have a hard password. Someone could only of got in by breaking a computers security and the log in was in the USA, I'm here in the UK.

Malware must of got into either my iPhone, iPad, laptop or PC at work.

I just can't believe it. Thing is I changed my password, but what if the hacker finds it out again using what ever program he used in the first place.

Well if it does happen again, I'll have to restore my iDevices and my laptop. My laptop was rebuilt recently and I've hardly used it since. I really reckon its my phone because sometimes when I'm at home and I'm not using any device. My routers lights flash like I'm downloaded something and no backups are taking place or anything like that.

What the dumb hacker doesn't realise is non of my accounts would be of any use to him at all because I have nothing of real importance.

It's just the invasion of privacy really pisses me off!!

Sorry, rant over now.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys, this is what worries me. I'm like super carful and have a hard password. Someone could only of got in by breaking a computers security and the log in was in the USA, I'm here in the UK.

Malware must of got into either my iPhone, iPad, laptop or PC at work.

I just can't believe it. Thing is I changed my password, but what if the hacker finds it out again using what ever program he used in the first place.

Well if it does happen again, I'll have to restore my iDevices and my laptop. My laptop was rebuilt recently and I've hardly used it since. I really reckon its my phone because sometimes when I'm at home and I'm not using any device. My routers lights flash like I'm downloaded something and no backups are taking place or anything like that.

What the dumb hacker doesn't realise is non of my accounts would be of any use to him at all because I have nothing of real importance.

It's just the invasion of privacy really pisses me off!!

Sorry, rant over now.

I'm the type that would erase everything and start from scratch, especially in regard to a computer. I experimented with stuff so often that it was commonplace for me to completely erase the hard drive, reinstall a fresh install of the OS as well as a fresh install of the apps I used. Being that you said your laptop was recently rebuilt (I'm assuming you didn't rebuild it yourself), I would backup documents, photos, & music and then erase the hard drive. Afterwards, I'd reinstall the OS and the apps you use regularly. Yes, it's time consuming and possibly an inconvenience, but if we're worried about safety and privacy then why not?

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Both my gmail accounts have been hacked this year. One from an Iran ip address and last week from the Philippines (the night I created a gmail for my aunt who just moved there.)

I have since activated the 2 step authentication. It requires a code that gets text to your phone to verify. We'll see How well it works...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Both my gmail accounts have been hacked this year. One from an Iran ip address and last week from the Philippines (the night I created a gmail for my aunt who just moved there.)

I have since activated the 2 step authentication. It requires a code that gets text to your phone to verify. We'll see How well it works...

It actually works quite well. Google sends out the text verification code quickly and it does provide a little peace of mind, at least for me it does.

736dave

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Some ideas to avoid wifi scanners from getting your passwords:

Be sure to enable and use encryption on your home wifi.

Configure google to require SSL so you are not accidentally sending plain text.

Avoid typing your password when on free wifi (like at Starbucks).

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
2 factor authentication works great. I use the authenticator app though instead of the txt's

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Agreed in today's day in age. Stronger passwords are required. Even when a website states it a string password. Make it contain capital letters, symbols, etc.

I also change my password(S) every 60 days...

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Agreed in today's day in age. Stronger passwords are required. Even when a website states it a string password. Make it contain capital letters, symbols, etc.

I also change my password(S) every 60 days...

Yeah I guess same password for over a year isn't such a great idea lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73