Google Contacts

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've synced my 3G to Google successfully using Google sync, however while my calendar and mail update, my contacts don't. I've recently modified my contacts sync info to use Google on itunes but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help;

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You're using Gmail set up as Exchange? Go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar and choose the account; make sure Contacts is toggled On. Go back to Mail, Contacts...scroll down to the Contacts section and make sure the default account used for new contacts is your gmail. If not set there, new contacts added on your phone won't sync to gmail automatically.

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I don't know if I'm using Google as an exchange or not. I assume I am, but I'm not totally sure. I'm certainly not using MS exchange.

In my OS (4.2.1) I don't see a toggle for Contacts. Under Accounts, I have accounts for Gmail (mail, calendars) and Google (calendars) and Add Account.

Under Contacts the only options I have are sort and display order.

Also, I'm not sure if I've made this clear but I want to emphasize that I was successfully able to import the Contacts into my iPhone. I'm just not having any luck updating subsequent changes.

Any ideas where do I go from here?

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I'm on IOS 4.2.1. I don't have a Contacts account to toggle. I only have a Gmail (calendars, mail) and a google.com account (calendars).

I also want to reemphasize that I was able to setup and view my contacts -- but have not been successful in having updated contact info show in my phone.

Any ideas?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You actually DO want to use MS Exchange...it doesn't mean you're using a Microsoft account or email, it's just the name of the syncing service. It's free, very easy to set up, and once you do that you can sync Contacts, Calendars, and Mail over the air. Read about it here: Daily Tip: How to setup Gmail as Exchange to push your e-mails [Beginner] | iMore.com

I have all my gmail accounts set up this way and can't imagine ever using anything else.

Here are the setup steps from the linked article:

Launch the Settings app.
Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
Tap Add Account.
Tap Microsoft Exchange.
For Email, enter your full Gmail or Google Account email address (i.e. name@gmail.com or name@mygoogleaccountdomain.com).
Leave the Domain field blank. (Really.)
Again, enter your Gmail or Google Account email address as the Username. (Yup, that's twice.)
Enter your Gmail/Google Account password for Password.
Tap Next.
When the Server field appears, enter m.google.com.
Tap Next.
Select what you want to sync (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts).

That's it!

ealvin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've just noticed that after my most recent sync I now am not showing any contact phone numbers on my iPhone. They are all missing.

After what I thought was a successful resolution to my initial problem in this thread, I started a new thead about how my iPhone Contacts were showing only one phone number per contact, even if two existed.

Now this got me wondering if either or both of these issues could be related to adding the MS exchange sync but not undoing or removing my previous configuration using Google sync and/or having Contacts sync checked as the method of synching in iTunes.

Anyway, that's where I am. Any ideas on fixing this? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited:

PT20

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
1. "Fast Sync for Gmail Contacts" is a fast and simple way to sync Gmail & iPhone contacts .It is accurate and efficient. Requires iOS4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone,iPad and iPod touch.

Get "Fast Sync for Gmail Contacts" from AppStore:
iOS App:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast-sync-for-gmail-contacts/id520030762?mt=8&at=10l3Vy
Mac OS X App:
https://itunes.apple.com/cn/app/fast-sync-for-gmail-contacts/id566254863?l=en&mt=12&at=10l3Vy

2."Download Contacts for Google" is a quick and easy way to download Gmail contacts into iPhone, iPad & iPod touch.

Get "Download Contacts for Google" from AppStore:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/download-contacts-for-google/id430950040?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711