Permanently deleting email

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have frequently seen this question in these forums in the past, and have the answer.

The question is always "when I delete email on my iPhone, it doesn't really delete, it just goes to "All Mail."

The answer is: Google Groups (Relevant bit: "Messages deleted through IMAP are simply archived, and remain in All Mail.") You can easily change this from your desktop in the Advanced IMAP settings.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've found the Google "All Mail" folder to be a savior on a few occasions... I go into gmail via the web on computer and clean things out there when needed.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I just haven't set this up right. It doesn't work for me.

Now, I do have my email setup as Exchange mode. Is that a possible reason?

In my IMAP settings, I have it set to 'delete' emails in the Advanced IMAP settings.

Ps: thanks for posting this in the first place...

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use the Exchange set up.
When I delete an email, it goes to my Trash folder.
But when I try to empty my trash folder, they disappear but then a short time later they're back in the trash folder. So I have to empty the trash folder from my laptop on Gmail.

Good Luck

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've discovered I like things going to All Mail so that I have an archive. But I know others have been looking for this.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When Gmail was my primary email account, I automatically archived my read mail into the 'All Mail' folder and I would delete anything older than 90 days from the 'All Mail' folder which ensured that it was indeed removed/deleted. ICloud is my primary email account now, but I do the exact same thing with it. My read mail is archived for 90 days and then deleted. I realize that a good deal of people who peruse this forum are techie types, but there are far too many people who are clueless to the capabilities as well as the basic functions of their email service.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2