Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Easiest way to delete email

I have a Gmail account set up through Exchange so that I can get my email immediately. When I delete a message from my iPhone it goes into the All Mail folder on the main Gmail server. I have IMAP enabled on the Gmail account Below are some of my IMAP settings:
    "When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:" I have this set to "Auto-Expunge off"

"When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:"
    This is set to "Move the message to the Trash"

Is there something I am missing, when I set up the account by using the Gmail button in the mail set up and turn archiving off it works fine but I'm not getting my email immediately when it is sent to me. I don't want to set my Fetch to every 15 minutes if I have to, any ideas would be appreciated.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Strange when i have gmail set on exchange and I delete it go into the trash and reflects on my phone and iPad as well

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i would setup gmail with the gmail option on ios.

you can sync the folders you want. (inbox, sent, trash)
    Also there is an option under your email settings to archive deleted messages, change that to no if you want to permanently delete messages.

PHOON61
    iPhone 5 - 16GB - BLACK IOS 8.0.2
    MacBook Pro - 8GB Ram - OS X YOSEMITE
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    2,088 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by robertc View Post
    I have a Gmail account set up through Exchange so that I can get my email immediately. When I delete a message from my iPhone it goes into the All Mail folder on the main Gmail server. I have IMAP enabled on the Gmail account Below are some of my IMAP settings:
    "When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:" I have this set to "Auto-Expunge off"

"When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:"

Is there something I am missing, when I set up the account by using the Gmail button in the mail set up and turn archiving off it works fine but I'm not getting my email immediately when it is sent to me. I don't want to set my Fetch to every 15 minutes if I have to, any ideas would be appreciated.
    Deleting messages from your inbox archives the e-mail, which is why it shows up in "All Mail."

To send messages from trash, you'll either have to move them manually to trash instead of hitting delete, or you could delete them from "All Mail."

So either:

1. Setup as GMail and live with no push e-mail.

2. Setup as Exchange and instead of using delete, move e-mail to trash manually.

3. Setup as Exchange and stay in the "All Mail" view so anything you delete will always go to trash.

4. Setup as Exchange and live with the fact that delete e-mails will always be archived, at least, until Google gets around to adding support for sending e-mails to trash.
    Nokia Lumia 900, iPad 1 16GB WiFi
    Twitter
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by robertc View Post

Set it up with Exchange, for your domain use m.google.com
    You will receive your email right away

PHOON61
    iPhone 5 - 16GB - BLACK IOS 8.0.2
    MacBook Pro - 8GB Ram - OS X YOSEMITE
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

i will appologize in advance for wasting some tronzer's precious time but will someone give me a quick run down of difference between IMAP and Exchange and if there are any perks to running gmail through exchange. if so what is the server i use when setting up my gmail as an exchange account. Thank you all
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,883 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

The reason I set exchange is for instant email and it will sync your contacts calendar automatically .. Imap although I never set it my understanding is u delete something on one it deletes on all

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,151 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just remembered, I have a account. This was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. I've now setup my GMail via Exchange, using my nuevasync, and delete works as it should...

I could never get it to work as it should via Exchange GMail.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks to everyone for their input, I'm just gonna live with the Gmail set up and poll every 30 minutes.
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone Gmail Delete / Archive Fix

To fix the archive issue on iPhone do the following: Connect your phone to Gmail via "non-exchange" settings. Set this account to deliver only mail and under settings set Archive Messages to OFF.

If you want to keep Google calendar functionality via exchange connect your phone to Google Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts via Microsoft Exchange and set this account to only deliver contact and calendar info.

Under this set up your e-mails will go to the Gmail trash folder when deleted on the iPhone and you will retain the ability to send calendar invites via e-mail and see Google contacts.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,151 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Brilliant info, that certainly would work...