Easiest way to delete email

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Gmail account set up through Exchange so that I can get my email immediately. When I delete a message from my iPhone it goes into the All Mail folder on the main Gmail server. I have IMAP enabled on the Gmail account Below are some of my IMAP settings:
"When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:" I have this set to "Auto-Expunge off"

"When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:"
This is set to "Move the message to the Trash"

Is there something I am missing, when I set up the account by using the Gmail button in the mail set up and turn archiving off it works fine but I'm not getting my email immediately when it is sent to me. I don't want to set my Fetch to every 15 minutes if I have to, any ideas would be appreciated.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Strange when i have gmail set on exchange and I delete it go into the trash and reflects on my phone and iPad as well

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

phoon61

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i would setup gmail with the gmail option on ios.

you can sync the folders you want. (inbox, sent, trash)
Also there is an option under your email settings to archive deleted messages, change that to no if you want to permanently delete messages.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Gmail account set up through Exchange so that I can get my email immediately. When I delete a message from my iPhone it goes into the All Mail folder on the main Gmail server. I have IMAP enabled on the Gmail account Below are some of my IMAP settings:
"When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:" I have this set to "Auto-Expunge off"

"When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:"

Is there something I am missing, when I set up the account by using the Gmail button in the mail set up and turn archiving off it works fine but I'm not getting my email immediately when it is sent to me. I don't want to set my Fetch to every 15 minutes if I have to, any ideas would be appreciated.

Deleting messages from your inbox archives the e-mail, which is why it shows up in "All Mail."

Google Sync Known Issues with iOS - Google Mobile Help

To send messages from trash, you'll either have to move them manually to trash instead of hitting delete, or you could delete them from "All Mail."

So either:

1. Setup as GMail and live with no push e-mail.

2. Setup as Exchange and instead of using delete, move e-mail to trash manually.

3. Setup as Exchange and stay in the "All Mail" view so anything you delete will always go to trash.

4. Setup as Exchange and live with the fact that delete e-mails will always be archived, at least, until Google gets around to adding support for sending e-mails to trash.

phoon61

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Set it up with Exchange, for your domain use m.google.com
You will receive your email right away

WSPNC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
i will appologize in advance for wasting some tronzer's precious time but will someone give me a quick run down of difference between IMAP and Exchange and if there are any perks to running gmail through exchange. if so what is the server i use when setting up my gmail as an exchange account. Thank you all

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The reason I set exchange is for instant email and it will sync your contacts calendar automatically .. Imap although I never set it my understanding is u delete something on one it deletes on all

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I just remembered, I have a nuevasync account. This was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. I've now setup my GMail via Exchange, using my nuevasync, and delete works as it should...

I could never get it to work as it should via Exchange GMail.

El-Speedster

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
iPhone Gmail Delete / Archive Fix

To fix the archive issue on iPhone do the following: Connect your phone to Gmail via "non-exchange" settings. Set this account to deliver only mail and under settings set Archive Messages to OFF.

If you want to keep Google calendar functionality via exchange connect your phone to Google Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts via Microsoft Exchange and set this account to only deliver contact and calendar info.

Under this set up your e-mails will go to the Gmail trash folder when deleted on the iPhone and you will retain the ability to send calendar invites via e-mail and see Google contacts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711