Going from Android to IOS ...

corolla90

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm contemplating a move from Android to IOS once the new iPhone comes out. What I'm curious to know, though, is what it's like for people, who heavily depend on google services (gmail, gmaps, gvoice, gtalk, gmusic, picasa, google reader, etc.), using an iPhone. Is the experience good enough? Are there things lacking with IOS (at least for now) that make you wish you were using Android for those google services?

Thanks!

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
There is a built in map app and you can use picasa and gmail with the mail and picasa app. Gtalk is not yet supported I believe but soon will

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
One thing I miss from my Droid X is the free audible turn by turn navigation system built into Google Maps. I have MapQuest on my iPhone 4 which is free and has the same audible turn by turn navigation but it's not as good.

crspy

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question, I rely heavily on gmail, google docs and most importantly google voice. Is the integration on the iPhone the same for google voice ie forward voicemails and have two different numbers on one phone?

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Also when you search for a place in Google Maps on the Iphone there is not nearly half of the information you will find using an Android. No Reviews, Business hrs etc. Also the gps is not as accurate on my new 4s as it was on my Droid Incredible. So if you like to see yourself on google maps in your exact location expect it to be off by a few hundred feet.

phillysdon04

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I just made the switch to the Iphone and I'm regretting it a little. The Iphone is a nice looking phone but Android does a whole lot more without any hacks.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same question, I rely heavily on gmail, google docs and most importantly google voice. Is the integration on the iPhone the same for google voice ie forward voicemails and have two different numbers on one phone?

Google voice can still work like it does on android if you like. The main difference is that you have to use the app in iPhone when you want to make a cal with Google Voice. You can't have the built in dailer automatically route a call, like for long distance calls. Sounds like you want to use both lines on your phone, so this method is better. The thing I hated about Android is having to change the setting in Google Voice if I wanted to make a regular outbound call via Google Voice. The app also lets you make a call using your Google Voice number with a different line. So if you are in your office and want to use your office line to make a call with your Google Voice number as the caller ID, you can do so very easily with the Google Voice app on iPhone, something you can't do on Android.

As for other features, I miss Gmail and Google maps on my Android. Gmail is almost as good on iPhone, but maps is not even close.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Oh forgot to respond about docs. There is a google drive app that seems to work fine. I don't use it much so hard to compare, but they did make it formatted to work on the new iPhone 5 screen size, same with Gmail & Chrome. Still waiting for GVoice to get its update.