Syncing my Google stuff

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I looked through some previous threads here, but I just couldn't follow the advice very well.

So, I have an original Palm Pre. I might switch to an iPhone on Verizon this fall (either iPhone 4 or 5).

I use Google for all of my contacts, my email, and my calendar. All of these are crucial. My question is:

You know the little email icon at the bottom of the iPhone screen? Is that representative of whatever email address you assign to it? Can tapping that icon go directly to my Gmail? Are the emails threaded? Because if they aren't, I will have to make an icon for mobile Gmail.

Same question for the calendar icon.

Also, how do I sync these? With my Pre, you register the device with your Google account, so it's automatic.

Please try and explain this to me like I'm five years old or something.

Thank you.

Ps. Can you choose which four icons go at the bottom row?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The mail icon takes you to the mail client, and all the email accounts you set up. If you only set up a single gmail account, that's where you'll go. Yes, the email is threaded (which I hate).

The calendar icon takes you to the calendar client. Any calendars you have added will be there.

You sync them by setting up your gmail account as an Exchange account and it's all automatic.

Yes, you can choose which 4 icons go in the dock.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes the contacts are your Gmail contacts.

I hate threaded email because there's too great a chance that you'll reply to an email before realizing there's more in the thread, and if someone replies to an email with a new subject, it still goes in the old thread - where it has no business.

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The mail icon takes you to the mail client, and all the email accounts you set up. If you only set up a single gmail account, that's where you'll go. Yes, the email is threaded (which I hate).

Can anyone confirm the "threaded" part, please? For the iPhone 4S.

The calendar icon takes you to the calendar client. Any calendars you have added will be there.

You sync them by setting up your gmail account as an Exchange account and it's all automatic.

Where do you set up the Exchange account? On Gmail online or on the iPhone?

Thanks!

ivan1.ruiz

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I love google and I love my iPhone lol weird I know. I wish google would let turn by turn gps on the iPhone like on the android phones

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
My word isn't good enough for you? The iPhone 4S is using iOS 5 - same thing.

You set it up in your Google account first, and then you set it up in settings on the iPhone.

Well, I would like to hear from more than one person. Sometimes people can misinterpret what someone is saying, or maybe someone agrees but has had problems with the threaded emails. It's not personal. I just like to have multiple confirmations.

About the exchange thing - I don't see anything like that on my google.

jhoove09#IM

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, I would like to hear from more than one person. Sometimes people can misinterpret what someone is saying, or maybe someone agrees but has had problems with the threaded emails. It's not personal. I just like to have multiple confirmations.

About the exchange thing - I don't see anything like that on my google.

Yes, the mail is threaded. Multiple emails in the same conversation are grouped together in the inbox folder.

What are you referring to when you say you don't see anything like that in your Google? You don't see options for adding an exchange account n your phone or you don't see that in the desktop client?

Reactions: NINnerd

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the mail is threaded. Multiple emails in the same conversation are grouped together in the inbox folder.

What are you referring to when you say you don't see anything like that in your Google? You don't see options for adding an exchange account n your phone or you don't see that in the desktop client?

Ok, thanks.

I mean on the desktop client. When I go to my gmail on my laptop.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
All the instructions you'll need can be found here: Google Sync for your phone
It all works quite wonderfully--I run three mail accounts (one of which handles five sub-accounts), several calendars, and all my contacts through Google and have no complaints at all.

One small change I would make: when you first get your phone and after setting up those email accounts, go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll down to the Contacts section. There, make the Default Account the exchange account you use for your Google contacts. Doing this means any contact you add on your phone will also sync to your Google account. If it's set to On My iPhone, you can end up with contacts that only show up on your phone.

NINnerd

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Hmm...I see that they are grouped together. But when I open an email, it isn't threaded in order from top to bottom like in gmail. Also, in gmail you can expand all the past emails. I went ahead about put mobile gmail on my icon screen so I could just go there. I guess the mail client will push my emails, give me a notification for it, and then I'll ck it in on mobile gmail. ???:confused:

chrstdvd

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I set up my Google email on the 4s and then set up an exchange account so that my contacts from Google would sync to the 4s. Worked just fine. But then I, all of a sudden, have two mail accounts one Gmail and the other Exchange and they both get the same messages at the same time. After some thinking, I decided to delete the Gmail account off the phone. Now I just have the Exchange account that gets my mail and sync's everything perfectly between all my devices.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711