Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Default GMail Microsoft Exchange Sync?

Ok, So I finally setup the gmail push function with microsoft exchange, and got my contacts all synced. Now, whenever I add a contact, will it automatically sync with my gmail? Or is there a certain thing I need to do to have it sync with each other? I would like it to automatically save my contacts with gmail (like verizon backup assistant would do on my blackberry). thanks
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

You will need to go into the Settings and select Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc... Scroll all the way to the bottom to the Contacts section and select Exchange as the default account.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HSNC View Post
    You will need to go into the Settings and select Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc... Scroll all the way to the bottom to the Contacts section and select Exchange as the default account.
    Will this have any contact i add to my phone automatically send to my gmail account

Also, if I want to take off this push email, will it erase all of my contacts? I tried to take it off before and they all erased. I dont want this to kill my battery lfie, but dont want to lose my contacts
    Last edited by disturbed10890; 07-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

It will add the contacts to you gmail contacts. Regarding turning off the push email, I have not heard of doing this erasing contacts before. I wouldn't think so, but I can't make any guarantees.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

Depends on what you mean by "taking off the push email". If you remove the account you'll obviously lose the associated contacts. Some clarification would help.

Push shouldn't kill your battery. It's far more efficient than pull.

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed10890 View Post
    Ok, So I finally setup the gmail push function with microsoft exchange
    Technically it's with ActiveSync, not Exchange. It's labeled as "Exchange" as ActiveSync is typically used with Exchange accounts. Exchange isn't actually involved in your setup at all. These days there are more account types that support ActiveSync (gmail, Hotmail/Live, etc).
    Last edited by briareus; 07-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.