Going Google free.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I last wrote on 7/15 I have switched yet again. The annoyance of not being able to truly delete a message from the gmail on the iphone has lessened. Gmail and google calendar and contacts is just a better product than anything I've used.

claudiav93

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
google and our privacy

For my English class I had to try to go Google free for a week and think about the benefits from doing so. I?ve never been very concerned with my privacy on the internet or how Google owns everything but throughout the assignment I started thinking about it. I?m still not that worried with my information but I am a little more worried about how Google is a monopoly and you can?t go on the internet without encountering them.

bern_nutz

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Hotmail for about 3 years now and have it set up as an Exchange account on my iPhone, have never had any problems. Mail, contacts and all Windows Live calendars push and sync perfectly. You can now also create alias mail accounts to use for online shopping and such.

The other features I find useful are the Active View so you can view for example WMP content from with the webmail interface and the built-in Office web apps (Word, PP, Excel and OneNote). With 25GB of free Skydrive storage for documents, photos, music, etc you can't go wrong! That's supposed to be increasing to unlimited for docs and photos and 25GB for everything else in the next month or so and MS is going to be releasing a Skydrive iOS app to access it all from the phone.

I've used Yahoo in the past, just kept getting from worse to crap, have never really used Gmail though (don't have a reason to yet Lol ) so can't really compare it.

p.s. This is not supposed to be a MS ad, just trying to help! :)

Last edited:

fituruyabasted

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

lake.gif

scientist88

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, my interest in Google+ is causing me to keep my Google account. Hopefully I will find a way to work it out, but I don't really have a problem with Google other than their smartphone, tablet, and Android competition with Apple.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My interest in G+ is quickly dwindling as no one is on it (or so it seems anyway) but Gmail still seems to be the best free mail alternative to me, as I will never go back to Yahoo. So unfortunately as much as I'd like to get away from Google, it's kind of unavoidable.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
if you dont use Gmail/Calendar for your contacts and calendar sync.. what do you use?

Can you go google-less and just use Outlook to sync contacts, calendar and email?

warmwater

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I want out also

I use Google for Mail, Calendar, Contact Management and Maps. It actually works pretty good for 3 out of the 4 (Maps being the exception), but if there was an alternative I would jump. I have just decided I don't want Google snooping through my stuff anymore. I have had them since 2001.

Maps through Chrome always gives me hassles. Their 'improvements" continually cause me more work. I set a default address everytime and yet when I look for directions it always asks me from where. It used to keep the default, no longer. The part that bugs me is when you go to google help, many people have these issues, for long time, and google doesn't care. C'mon this is a basic.

Contacts: It works pretty good but when I add a picture from my phone, after the sync with GContacts, the picture comes back low res, no longer full screen when I call them or they call me, yes, it is a minor issue, but it used to work, they got rid of that feature, when you go to google help, lots of people have that issue and they don't seem to care

Google Tasks: Never works through email like they say it will, after looking at other alternatives and trying to sync google tasks, the other services say google does not provide a standard api and thus there sync is spotty.

Bottom line, things work OK with Google, but I want it to work good and want more privacy. If there was a cloud based alternative I would switch.
I use a PC, an air, an Ipad and an Iphone and they all need to sync. Google is the closest so far.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Google for Mail, Calendar, Contact Management and Maps. It actually works pretty good for 3 out of the 4 (Maps being the exception), but if there was an alternative I would jump. I have just decided I don't want Google snooping through my stuff anymore. I have had them since 2001.

Maps through Chrome always gives me hassles. Their 'improvements" continually cause me more work. I set a default address everytime and yet when I look for directions it always asks me from where. It used to keep the default, no longer. The part that bugs me is when you go to google help, many people have these issues, for long time, and google doesn't care. C'mon this is a basic.

Contacts: It works pretty good but when I add a picture from my phone, after the sync with GContacts, the picture comes back low res, no longer full screen when I call them or they call me, yes, it is a minor issue, but it used to work, they got rid of that feature, when you go to google help, lots of people have that issue and they don't seem to care

Google Tasks: Never works through email like they say it will, after looking at other alternatives and trying to sync google tasks, the other services say google does not provide a standard api and thus there sync is spotty.

Bottom line, things work OK with Google, but I want it to work good and want more privacy. If there was a cloud based alternative I would switch.
I use a PC, an air, an Ipad and an Iphone and they all need to sync. Google is the closest so far.

Have you tried iCloud? The calendars, contacts, and reminders sync amazingly. The email is a bit spotty, but you can use Gmail for that still.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use my gmail for my push mail and still have the calendar just cause iCloud with windows you can't import a calendar to it and I don't have outlook .. Like phases of the moon .. Holidays .. Etc. If I had a Mac i know I could switch easy but I don't. But I did convert all my contacts to iCloud

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW