Adding contacts to Google on iPhone

C3PO#IM

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have my google contacts synced with my iphone. This makes life easier. When I receive a phone call or text from someone that isn't in my contacts, I save it their number right afterwards. Unfortunately, it only saves it locally to my iphone and not to my google contacts. So recently when I had to restore my phone I lost a handful of contacts because they were only saved to my phone and not google. Is there a way to save these contacts to google natively? My google contacts are already set as default. If there isn't a native way, is there an app that would make this easier. I'd rather not have to login to google on mobile safari just to add a contact.

palmprenc

May 16, 2011
Visit site
You need to go to Settings, choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Once there, scroll down to the contacts section and change the default account to Gmail.

Hope this helps.

C3PO#IM

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You need to go to Settings, choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Once there, scroll down to the contacts section and change the default account to Gmail.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I had this setting on already... BUT not when I had to restore last month. Got it now though.

gypatel

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
how to resolved this issue? I want to add contacts to google contacts from IPhone. that way in future if I have to reset or change phone do not loose contacts.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
My phone is set as per below :
1. Setting > contact > default account > icloud
2. Setting > contact > account > (gmail account) > contact (set to green)

With this setting, our contact should sync wit icloud and gmail account contact

Am I right ? Can anyone pls reconfirm this ?

Thx

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My phone is set as per below :
1. Setting > contact > default account > icloud
2. Setting > contact > account > (gmail account) > contact (set to green)

With this setting, our contact should sync wit icloud and gmail account contact

Am I right ? Can anyone pls reconfirm this ?

Thx

You are wrong.
Enabling contacts in two accounts gives you the choice to either save it locally on the phone, to iCloud, or to gmail. Not simultaneously to all of them.

Because if this, I've set my device to sync only to iCloud. My numbers don't even get saved locally.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
You are wrong.
Enabling contacts in two accounts gives you the choice to either save it locally on the phone, to iCloud, or to gmail. Not simultaneously to all of them.

Because if this, I've set my device to sync only to iCloud. My numbers don't even get saved locally.

I'm not quite understand, and getting confused, if as per your saying

1. To save our phone contact locally only, then we should uncheck the icloud contact sync ? (Setting > contact > account > icloud > uncheck)

2. And that's mean, if we set our default contact to icloud, no contacts were saved in our phone at all ?

3. If we have icloud and google account checked sync (as per my previous thread setting), and we choose icloud as our default account (setting > contact> default account> icloud), that's mean the contact will only sync to "icloud" and not other account contact (although we set "green" as well) , even locally ?

4. If our previous setting icloud as our default account, and we uncheck icloud & google accounts' contact, then our phone won't have any contact showed ?

5. If that's correct, then how to let icloud sync the contact locally to our phone

6. And how to backup/sync contact to google account as well (from icloud)

Thx

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not quite understand, and getting confused, if as per your saying

1. To save our phone contact locally only, then we should uncheck the icloud contact sync ? (Setting > contact > account > icloud > uncheck)

To save only locally, you have to uncheck contact sync for all accounts. Doing so will not upload your contacts to any account.

2. And that's mean, if we set our default contact to icloud, no contacts were saved in our phone at all ?
Enabling contact sync for iCloud will upload all your contacts to iCloud. You are not able to save them locally. However, all contacts will appear on your phone, even if you're offline.

3. If we have icloud and google account checked sync (as per my previous thread setting), and we choose icloud as our default account (setting > contact> default account> icloud), that's mean the contact will only sync to "icloud" and not other account contact (although we set "green" as well) , even locally ?
Having multiple accounts enabled for contacts is confusing. You can select in the Contacts app what group you want to have shown and say you chose for showing only Google contacts, then new contacts will be saved to google, not local and not to iCloud, regardles of what you have set as default account.
This is the main reason for me to stick with iCloud only. Whenever I will have the need to save my contacts to Google, I can export the contacts on iCloud.com and import them in Google.

4. If our previous setting icloud as our default account, and we uncheck icloud & google accounts' contact, then our phone won't have any contact showed ?
Like I said in point 3, you can select where you want to save new contacts by just showing that group. Sometimes some contacts get saved locally and not to iCloud nor Google.

You can check this yourself by going to the contacts app and deselect all groups and select just the local. This will show you all contacts saved locally.

5. If that's correct, then how to let icloud sync the contact locally to our phone
By only enabling contacts for iCloud, all contacts in iCloud will show in your Contacts app. Even though they're not saved locally, they will appear and stay there until you disable contacts for iCloud.

6. And how to backup/sync contact to google account as well (from icloud)

Thx

Go to icloud.com and then to the contacts tab. Select all contacts and click the settings wheel, you will see there an option to export all contacts to .CSV which you can import in google/contacts.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro