GMail (Exchange) on iPhone

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can set it up that awesome on every major mobile os. I sync all contact, emails, and calendar info on google through my palm phone and my iPad and my desktop PC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Test it out and send an email to yourself. I've tried that and as soon as the sent message sound plays, the received message sound plays.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...ah, brilliant. So no need for me to renew my nuevasync.com account!

Another thing, if I delete an email, is it really deleting it, or moving it to archive? I know that was an issue when it was first released.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
To get the 'archive' or 'true delete' option I have to setup my account as a GMail account, versus an Exchange account correct?

Currently, I have it set as an Exchange account, and thus don't see the option to set 'archive' or 'delete' for when I swipe to delete.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That's correct?only imap gives you the option; Exchange says delete but functions as archive.

That said, you can delete from the All Mail folder on Exchange. So basically you'll have an extra step to the process. Another idea is to not swipe to delete but instead move messages to Trash, then simply delete them en masse when you're back at your computer.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...ah, thanks, Massie.

I guess I'm now beginning to wonder why GMail bothered with both options, i.e. Exchange and GMail on the iPhone, iPad, etc...

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a slightly related question - when you all are setting up gmail via exchange on the iPhone, what settings are you using in the gmail 'settings' under 'forwarding and POP/IMAP' (on the computer)? Do we enable POP or IMAP or disable both? Sorry if that's a dumb question but right now with my blackberry, I have both enabled (I have no clue why both are enabled)...and just want to be sure when I switch over, I don't change anything server-side.

TIA!

bomkweesha#IM

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
For setting up Exchange on the iPhone, you don't have to mess with the settings on the computer at all. It's super simple! The only time I've ever changed those setting was when I used a pop-up notification app like PushMail or Boxcar. Hope this helps!

Reactions: kazmi

melissary

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
When setting up gmail through Exchange -- is the calendar two way sync? Like if I add something in my calendar via phone, does it sync online as well?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
hmm, now thats interesting, i didnt know that you couldnt "delete" if the gmail was added as exchange. I'll need to remember that.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
This became so annoying to me that I switched to @live.com! Loved google but @live works just fine for me.

That's correct?only imap gives you the option; Exchange says delete but functions as archive.

That said, you can delete from the All Mail folder on Exchange. So basically you'll have an extra step to the process. Another idea is to not swipe to delete but instead move messages to Trash, then simply delete them en masse when you're back at your computer.