Gmail help

martha

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I am a senior citizen, and sadly I am iPhone illiterate and in need of help. The husband and I purchased iPhones today, our first smartphones and our first attempt at texting/emailing, guess one has to start somewhere, we signed into our Gmail accounts and I tried sending him an email, it showed up on the desktop but not on his iphone, so he tried emailing me, the same thing, ok so maybe we can't email one another via the phones, but now I can't get the phone out of Gmail, I've tried everything I can think of, they are both hung up in Gmail, I've even turned the phone off and then back on, still hung in Gmail. I guess I will have to go back to the store tomorrow, sure is going to be embarrassing having to ask how to get our phones out of Gmail. My questions are...

Can we (or should we be able to) email one another's phone via Gmail?

How do I get it out of Gmail and back into texting?

Thanks in advance for any help!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay a couple of questions. First how did you set up your gmail accounts on your phones? Second can you describe in a little more detail what you mean when you say you can not get the phone out of Gmail. I'm sure that myself or another member here will be able to help you out, just need a little more info.

PS. Welcome to the iPhone and to TiPb.

martha

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, "Maybe" I go to "Messages" to text? Is messages the text?

To set up my Gmail I entered my name and password into the iPhone. It sends out emails to my desktop. And my desktop sends emails to my phone. Should we be able to send emails to one anothers phone?

Now when I click onto "mail" I go directly to Gmail, and before emailing via the phone when I clicked onto mail I was offered several other options. Can't bring back those options, so I'm not sure what they were.

Don't guess someone knows where to find an owners manual online? They didn't provide me with an owners manual, said it was on the phone, heck if I knew how to use the phone I wouldn't need an owners manual.

Guess I need my grandson to sort this out for me.

Sorry for wasting you guys time.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes messages is the same as text. If you are getting into your gmail account can you see any emails at all? If not try this Settings/Mail,Contacts and Calendars. Once in there you should see what email accounts are set up on the phone. Also you will be able to see how you have you mail set up in regards to notifications. You will see an option that says Fetch New Data, from there you can check and see how it is all set up. Where did you get your iPhones? I only ask since you said that you did not a manual, did you get boxes with your phones? If so the manual should be in there.

Update: Here is a link to the Apple site Apple - Support - Manuals you can download the user guide for any iPhone from that link. Feel free to PM me on here if you have any other questions. Also you can get me on Yahoo IM by clicking on big Y

Last edited:

martha

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
We purchased the phones at an AT&T store.

They were boxed, and included a "Finger Tips" guide, not what I would call a manual.

The iPhone receives email from my home computer, but not from the second iPhone.

Can't email one iPhone to the other iPhone.

What I need is a link to a good instructional video on YouTube. I've viewed several videos but they quickly go over my head.

Don't worry about it, I'll just go back to the store tomorrow, if they can't provide me a manual I will simply waste their time, instead of yours.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
We purchased the phones at an AT&T store.

They were boxed, and included a "Finger Tips" guide, not what I would call a manual.

The iPhone receives email from my home computer, but not from the second iPhone.

Can't email one iPhone to the other iPhone.

What I need is a link to a good instructional video on YouTube. I've viewed several videos but they quickly go over my head.

Don't worry about it, I'll just go back to the store tomorrow, if they can't provide me a manual I will simply waste their time, instead of yours.

You are not wasting anyones time, that is what we are here for. As far as the email issue is concerned it is all the same account, so if an email is sent from anywhere to your email account it will show up in your inbox, as long as you have access to that inbox on your phone then you will be able to see the the email that was sent.

martha

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So I think you have answered my two original questions . .

Text is in messages

And you can retreave Gmail and send Gmail, but not email from one iPhone to another. Is that right!

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
So I think you have answered my two original questions . .

Text is in messages

And you can retreave Gmail and send Gmail, but not email from one iPhone to another. Is that right!

Correct about the messages being text. Here is what I think is going on as you can send an email from one iPhone to another I do it all the time. I think what is going on is that when you send an email from either of the iPhones one of two things is going on, one it could be that the email address is entered wrong or it could be that there is for some reason a delay when you are sending the email from the iPhone. I am betting on the later but then again I could be wrong. Like I said feel free to ask us anything that you have questions about and I am sure we will turn you into an iPhone pro in no time.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Another possibility, the gmail account is set up as a pop3 account, so once it is viewed on the computer it's gone and not available to be retrieved on the iPhone.

I would recommend deleting the gmail account and setting up again as an Exchange account. If you go to gmail on your computer there are great instructions there as to how to set it up on your iPhone.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Another possibility, the gmail account is set up as a pop3 account, so once it is viewed on the computer it's gone and not available to be retrieved on the iPhone.

I would recommend deleting the gmail account and setting up again as an Exchange account. If you go to gmail on your computer there are great instructions there as to how to set it up on your iPhone.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

I had that thought as well, one of the reasons that I was asking about how she set up the email account. Thanks for explaining it in way that made sense, not sure what we would do without you Alli.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Martha, if you send the email from your iPhone and then wait about a minute and then check the email on your husband's iPhone does it show up? By entering just your gmail address and password into the iPhone's email client you will not get instant email deliveries like text messages. You must manually check for them or you can set the iPhone to check for new emails at regular intervals.

I would also recommend like Alli that you delete the gmail account you setup and do it again as an Exchange account which Google provides for free. This will enable push (instant) email and things you do with gmail on the iPhone or PC will show up on the other with no other input from you. It really only takes 2 minutes to get up and running.

Also, about the manual for your new iPhones, there is a reason they don't include it when you buy them...it's 130 pages long.

Here you go, from Apple.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2