Differences between the Exchange- and the Gmail-option ...

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Google for years. Google Sync with push it terrible at eating up your battery life. Unless you are just absolutely in need of push email, I would recommend you go with the IMAP version of Gmail. Then you can set it to either check hourly which uses less battery life or do it like I do set it to manual. Then I can check it when I want too. This is the most battery conscious way to do it.

Also the new Gmail setup on iOS4 allows you to sync calendars and notes with Gmail. Which is really nice.

I will say this if you need Google Sync for contacts, you could set it up and use it to sync contacts, but turn off the email and calendars and just use the IMAP version for those, which is what I do.

Works very well and conserves battery. Push is a battery HOG!

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I like how both Lungho and OTACORB both claim that each way is the battery saving route lol. Obviously one is not.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I like how both Lungho and OTACORB both claim that each way is the battery saving route lol. Obviously one is not.

Well I think it has been clearly establish that using Google Exchange for push will suck up your battery pretty quick. I am also sharing my personal experience not only with my own phone, but with my sons. We both found that our battery life was taking a big hit and did some research. It was suggested turning push off or at least turn the mail portion off and so we tried it. Battery life jumped right back up to where it should be.

MobileMe for whatever reason isn't as bad on the battery. Not sure why that is, but I did a 60 day trial and tested it out. I found it still hit the battery, but not like Google Exchange did.

It could be because he and I both use ours for business and get a lot of email and due to that it is pushing a lot of email. I suppose and this is just a guess that if you don't get much email that perhaps doing Push wouldn't be as bad on the battery. One has to remember with Push it will constantly be pushing mail, calendar and contact changes. So it is possible that we are both right for the way we use our phones in terms of email.

Last edited:

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I have heard about push eating up your battery. I think even the sticky on this forum talks about turning off push to conserve battery life. I use the GMAIL option on the default mail app, and I used to have it set up to check every 15 mins, now I have it to check every 30 .. Can't say I notice too much of a difference, but then again I don't know if an extra 15 mins between checks really makes a huge difference.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I claim Push uses less battery life than Fetch, not IMAP. Reading comprehension is a difficult skill to master for some people.:rolleyes:

Well no offense, but in the case of Gmail IMAP on the iPhone it does use fetch to keep your iPhone and the IMAP server in sync.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I use google sync and haven't noticed much difference in battery. Only thing i don't really like is google's contacts. I may end up getting mobileme just for contacts.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I use google sync and haven't noticed much difference in battery. Only thing i don't really like is google's contacts. I may end up getting mobileme just for contacts.

Well as much email as I get in a days time my battery life was cut in half, I think that is convincing enough!

I've had MobileMe, what do you think is different about contacts between the two? Maybe I was just not paying attention.

I do like the find my phone feature on Mobile Me, but just can't find a reason to pay Apple $99 a year for it.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I like the google exchange route. I need my PUSH.

My problem is that it is so very slow and half the time my IMAP accounts get the mail for Google push actually sends it. If you haven't tried the IMAP, I think you'd be surprised how much faster it is.

job

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
You guys are referring to what I called the Gmail-option as Google Sync, right? ActiveSync then? Does that term include both methods?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You guys are referring to what I called the Gmail-option as Google Sync, right? ActiveSync then? Does that term include both methods?

Google Sync, actually use Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.

Mail, Calendar & Contacts Sync: Comparing Google Sync vs. IMAP vs. Mobile Browser

Google Sync synchronizes Gmail, Google Calendars, and contacts with your mobile device. You can use the Google services directly in the built-in Mail, Calendar and Contacts application on your device.

Google Sync offers some advantages over using IMAP on your device. Most importantly, it allows for content to be pushed to your phone within seconds after changes occur on the server. On the other hand, using Gmail Drafts from your device is not possible via Google Sync.

On iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices, the Gmail web application offers the most comprehensive features and the best experience for most users. But for users who prefer using the native Mail application Google Sync offers an alternative way to access their Gmail account.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711