Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Yahoo or GMail on your iPhone?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yahoo

36 21.69%
  • GMail

130 78.31%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,112 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Post Yahoo or GMail?

What email user are you on your iPhone?

Yahoo or GMail?

Pros

Cons
    TiPb Forum Staff

Global Posts
    3,352 Global Posts

I like gmail I just like the way its setup I never really liked yahoo.
    iPhone Beginner

I like gmail. it's wasy to use, less drama than yahoo.
    iPhone Beginner

Yahoo = push
    Shannon

Twitter

I use gmail as my main, but use ymail to get some messages from gmail pushed to me.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,112 Global Posts
    iOS Version

...at present I'm using GMail, albeit I have a Yahoo account, too. I was just gathering information.

I guess GMail will break leaps and bounds when they/Apple release PUSH. I'm using nuevasync.com/ at present. And it works pretty well...
    Last edited by naviwilliams; 08-05-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    2,312 Global Posts

i use both. the problem is that while yahoo has push, you cant forward the email to any other acct, ie mobileme. gmail, while it can be forwarded, doesnt have push, but it does forward to mobileme. you lose the imap functionality you find with gmail alone, but pick it up with the mobile me if you are using it. if i wasnt using mobileme, i think i would probably use yahoo, only for the push (although it is very spotty) and it has an imap like setup as well. if push isnt a big deal, then gmail is more robust in features to me. now like you said navi, when gmail starts to push, then i'll quit forwarding (maybe) to mobile me and use it. i think both are good choices, and if you're using the nuevasync.com option, you're pretty much set there as well.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Gmail. Love it.
    64 GB iP5
    13" MacBook Pro
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,447 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Gmail. Have my contacts there too synced to my iPhone via Google Sync. I don't really need push email and it only takes a few seconds to fetch new mail when I open the app.
    iPhone Beginner

I use both frequently. I just find gmail is much faster @ e-mailing bigger attachments such as photos or video. I also don't like how the Yahoo makes me pay $20 a year to get the same features Google gives me for free. Hopefully eventually I can make a permanent switch over.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

Gmail rocks! Had Yahoo for awhile but just never really liked it for some reason. I use Gmail for all of my personal accounts but I use MobileMe for business.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    iPhone Intermediate

Gmail.

It's just easier, both on my Mac and my iPhone. Tags let me tag everything I have and I have 7 GB worth of storage and it's growing. Not to mention I love everything that Google is doing and more (Chrome, GMail, Voice, it's all good)

Besides, Yahoo is really out for the money and they're sleeping with the enemy, Microsoft, a lot of the time too.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,919 Global Posts

Yahoo only for push.

I prefer Gmail as it knows the difference between spam and "RE: Re: Re:". Yahoo constantly puts email from people that I have replied to in spam.

I also use MoMe, which is great for push (works flawlessly) and for storage.

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    iPhone Beginner

Gmail all the way also one account works with all google services great
    iPhone 3GS 16GB BLK FW: 3.1.2 US AT&T
    iPhone 3G 8GB J/B/U FW: 3.1 T-Mobile
    DELL STUDIO 1535 WVHP 64Bit+SP2
    iMore Guru

how come there is no option for other? I use neither
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,112 Global Posts
    iOS Version

chobbs1, good point. I wasn't thinking straight at the time
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I use Gmail, I've always loved it! It's easy to use and has a great look. I've tried Yahoo! but it just didn't work out for me. Gmail needs push though!
    iPhone Newbie

Google, 1 hour fetch. Don't need to check my mail that bad
    iPhone Newbie

Cool

I use MobileMe, but if I had to choose it would be GMail all the way!
    Mag
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Gmail. Have my contacts there too synced to my iPhone via Google Sync. I don't really need push email and it only takes a few seconds to fetch new mail when I open the app.
    I love how your iPhone also fetches email when you open other Apple apps which require internet such as AppStore etc.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

So what is push?? My iPhone notifies me of a new GMail Email within a minute of it being in my inbox.
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Keyl10 View Post
    So what is push?? My iPhone notifies me of a new GMail Email within a minute of it being in my inbox.
    If you keep your inbox open it will constantly fetch your email account every so many seconds. The fastest you can get g-mail is every 15minutes with your phone asleep. There is no push support for g-mail on the iPhone right now.

If you want push you need a Microsoft exchange, MobileMe, or Yahoo account. Although Yahoo's push is very unreliable from what others have said.

I just got MobileMe less than a month ago and I love it. I have used AOL for over a decade and finally switched because I really needed push for work and have my contacts and calender backed up and pushed to me. Plus it's great having the locate me feature if I loose or my iPhone gets stolen.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Hi Guys! New to the iPhone, but coming from a BlackBerry, I can say that Yahoo's push SUCKS! Big! Sometimes I will open my Yahoo inbox and it will download 8 messages, some that I should have received from our ago and on occasion even from the night before! For someone who is so accustomed to perfect push from BalckBerry, this is not something I want t get used to. I am now using MobileMe for push and it is great so far. Never any surprises from hours ago.

On the poll, I have always used gmail, I have like 5 personal gmail accounts for different people / things. Yahoo sucks.
    iPhone Nanite

Default No Contest. Gmail.

Okay, are you serious? That's like asking, which would you rather have: a $10,000 dollar bill or a 50 piece.

Gmail is astronomically better than Yahoo.

I used Yahoo Mail for several years, and then in April of 2004 I switched to Gmail. It is superior in every way. There is no tradeoff.

1. Spam. In the past 5 years, I have received about 10 spam messages in my Inbox. Gmail has caught the rest. I've had exactly 1 message that was NOT spam, marked as spam. So ~11 messages incorrectly flagged in 5 years.

2. Storage. With Gmail, you don't ever delete your old emails. You just "Archive" it, and it gets sent into the "All Mail" folder. This folder has (you guessed it) all your mail. You don't have to worry about "Do I delete this to save space? What if I need this email later?" Gmail gives you tons of storage--so just archive it, then you have it in case you need it.

3. Search. Instead of sorting your emails into folders so you can browse to them more easily later, you just search. Gmail searches your email ridiculously fast.

These are the main reasons to use Gmail instead of Yahoo.

When it comes to the iPhone specifically, Gmail syncs with the iPhone mail app. It's syncs 2-way, so your mail on your phone and your mail in the cloud are always the same.

The Gmail web app (in Safari) for the iPhone is slick and fast.

To be fair, I haven't used Yahoo Mail in Safari on the iPhone. But I don't see how it could possibly improve upon Gmail.

Hope this helps!

PS: I don't have any affiliation with Google. lol
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I use both but Yahoo! is my primary. I've had that account for a dozen years now and see some reasons to change but they are not so huge that I feel like I'm forced into it. Will likely keep things the way they are until a better solution comes along.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast