Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Yahoo or GMail on your iPhone?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yahoo

36 21.69%
  • GMail

130 78.31%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    iPhone Newbie

Talking Yahoo exists because...

yahoo is still there in the market because of their "lock in" strategies...
    Every other email provider has free POP/IMAP access while yahoo doesn't It doesn't have free email forwarding as well... If these two were available for all users (not just plus users), Yahoo would be long gone...!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I use yahoo since its what ive always used. My girlfriend is running gmail because yahoo wasnt working for her. She likes the gmail
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    18,211 Global Posts

It's such a shame that Yahoo offers PUSH on the iPHone, FREE. Yet the spam and timing of PUSH is just pure rubbish...
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Gmail. It's my main email address. Easy to use and has one of the best spam blockers out there.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Gmail!!! I do have a separate Yahoo account for their IM, but thats about all I use it for. Gmail rocks!! Just so many innovative features and I like the fact that they don't try to get you to upgrade to a plus account for so much a year. If I'm going to upgrade, I'd just as soon as get a MoMe account and keep my gmail. At least then I have push email that actually works right.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I have been back and forth between using Yahoo and Gmail but Gmail is the best one out there. I love the web setup and they are always coming out with new things to keep it interesting.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

a little off topic, but it seems, with the release of push notifications, that GMail should release it's own app in the app store similar to the one they have for Blackberrys.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I don't want there to be an app per se, I'd much rather it be built in and native to the e-mail app that is on the phone similar to MobileMe an Yahoo.
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

I hate Yahoo! because it's ugly and everything is loaded with ads. I don't use it on my computer so I wouldn't use it on my phone.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Gmail all the way! even my school uses it...
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tapmyapp View Post
    Gmail all the way! even my school uses it...
    my universities' mail also goes through GMail, so the choice is pretty clear. Sync works well even if it doesn't include mail yet. Ironically, my school also offers Microsoft as a choice when you make your mail account, and they offer no exchange whatsoever. haha.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

lol after I posted on how I use Gmail, I went to log in to my Yahoo! e-mail account and it's down. I actually like both e-mail clients and its a 55/45 split to gmail because of their themes and labs but I do like both.

Anyone else having Yahoo problems?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,341 Global Posts

I have both and my work email which is on exchange. I didn't want to bog down my phone so I just put my gmail on it because that is where I get most of my personal emails. The exchange is for work that's what I got my laptop for.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #39  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    18,211 Global Posts

...seems GMail is winning hands down. Now if only GPush would get released again
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts

Yes... gmail is the clear winner. It's been that way for a while now.

I remember when everyone was dying to get an invite.
    Last edited by Duvi; 08-10-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I've been using Yahoo! for quite a while, but after reading this thread I set up a Gmail account. I have to say I really like Gmail a lot.
    iPhone Nanite

Gmail just does a lot of things right and doesn't get in the way. One of the most annoying features of the default Yahoo theme is it lists ALL the messages in your inbox on one page without giving you the option to display the messages on several pages. Thus, if you want to apply an operation, for instance delete a set of messages from a given timeframe, you have to select ALL the messages in your inbox or none at all and tick messages on or off one by one.... Very annoying! Even hotmail does a better job at this.

Also i find searching through your mail messages on Yahoo is essentially broken, doesn't give the results you'd expect.
    It's little things like that that turn me off Yahoo.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts

Gmail + PushMail is my setup and it works beautifully! Yahoo was simply unreliable and severely lacking in features (and it was Yahoo eh).
    iPhone Newbie

No!....never considered it!....
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pourme View Post
    No!....never considered it!....
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts

I use both , but I like gmail the best . Less Spam , plus push is not that big of a deal .
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

GMail sucks azz! Yahoo is the bomb!

I have UNLIMITED space with Yahoo. I've never seen anyone give that option. I'm also allowed to send emails up to 20MB. I have never seen that option either from a free email service! My Yahoo mail is pushed IMMEDIATELY to my iPhone 3G. I get the mail on my iPhone faster than my PC does!

And yes I have GMail but I don't use it. I have no need to until Google Wave comes out. Until then I'll be a chatting on Yahoo!
    Last edited by Watcher; 08-14-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjmillisock View Post
    Okay, are you serious? That's like asking, which would you rather have: a $10,000 dollar bill or a 50 piece.

Gmail is astronomically better than Yahoo.

I used Yahoo Mail for several years, and then in April of 2004 I switched to Gmail. It is superior in every way. There is no tradeoff.

1. Spam. In the past 5 years, I have received about 10 spam messages in my Inbox. Gmail has caught the rest. I've had exactly 1 message that was NOT spam, marked as spam. So ~11 messages incorrectly flagged in 5 years.

2. Storage. With Gmail, you don't ever delete your old emails. You just "Archive" it, and it gets sent into the "All Mail" folder. This folder has (you guessed it) all your mail. You don't have to worry about "Do I delete this to save space? What if I need this email later?" Gmail gives you tons of storage--so just archive it, then you have it in case you need it.

3. Search. Instead of sorting your emails into folders so you can browse to them more easily later, you just search. Gmail searches your email ridiculously fast.
    Those 3 reasons you stated my Yahoo mail does except for archiving it in a separate folder, but it keeps ALL of my mail and never deletes it. I don't know which Yahoo service you were using that it supposedly sucks all that bad.

UPDATE: Dammit! I swear not even 2 hours after I write this I was telling my buddy that Sharing Contacts on the iPhone doesn't work via Email because it comes out on the other end as gibberish. He said, I've got GMail and mine came out fine just like an Outlook Contact. Apparently the way Yahoo mail sends it breaks up the .vcf attachment and sends it with all this code in it. Crap! Maybe I'll start also using my GMail!!!
    Last edited by Watcher; 08-14-2009 at 09:59 AM.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #49  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    18,211 Global Posts

Priceless!

[QUOTE=Dammit! I swear not even 2 hours after I write this I was telling my buddy that Sharing Contacts on the iPhone doesn't work via Email because it comes out on the other end as gibberish. He said, I've got GMail and mine came out fine just like an Outlook Contact. Apparently the way Yahoo mail sends it breaks up the .vcf attachment and sends it with all this code in it. Crap! Maybe I'll start also using my GMail!!! [/QUOTE]
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts

Fix that quote Ivan. And yes, that is priceless! Hehe.

How's push Gmail working for you?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast