Get FULL GMail Push in Mail app

gtu101

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I set this up after looking around some other forums. Apparently yahoo is the only free mail account that has full push capability on the iPhone (and then there's the $99 MobileMe account but who wants to pay for something).
So in order to set up a TRUE push account there are essentially only three steps.

1. Navigate to Yahoo.com and create a free email account. This account should resemble if not match your current address. Make sure to select the "@ymail.com" option as you will technically be replying from that address.
2. After setup and verification is complete for Yahoo open your GMail account in the browser. Up in the top right is a "settings" link. Hit it and find your way to the "Forwarding POP/IMAP" tab. In that tab there's a space to enter an address to FORWARD ALL INCOMING MAIL to. Type on your new yahoo address. And check the box telling gmail to start forwarding mail.
3. Other than that any additional settings are up to you. There's most likely a way to forward outgoing mail back through GMail. I was so psyched I just posted this as a prelim proof of concept. JUST THREE STEPS

Dig it.

cdudek

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Great ideas! I'm using my free trial of MobileMe and was looking for a way to have Push with gmail afterwards...looks like I'll be setting up a yahoo account soon!

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I set this up after looking around some other forums. Apparently yahoo is the only free mail account that has full push capability on the iPhone (and then there's the $99 MobileMe account but who wants to pay for something).
So in order to set up a TRUE push account there are essentially only three steps.

1. Navigate to Yahoo.com and create a free email account. This account should resemble if not match your current address. Make sure to select the "@ymail.com" option as you will technically be replying from that address.
2. After setup and verification is complete for Yahoo open your GMail account in the browser. Up in the top right is a "settings" link. Hit it and find your way to the "Forwarding POP/IMAP" tab. In that tab there's a space to enter an address to FORWARD ALL INCOMING MAIL to. Type on your new yahoo address. And check the box telling gmail to start forwarding mail.
3. Other than that any additional settings are up to you. There's most likely a way to forward outgoing mail back through GMail. I was so psyched I just posted this as a prelim proof of concept. JUST THREE STEPS

Dig it.

Why go through all that hassle when you can just have your iPhone check your email every 15 minutes. That's frequent enough for me... don't need to know the very second a new message hits my inbox.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Why go through all that hassle when you can just have your iPhone check your email every 15 minutes. That's frequent enough for me... don't need to know the very second a new message hits my inbox.

Unless you get a lot of emails push will save battery life vs checking every 15 mins.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
From everything I read and just on my basic understanding of how it works it would seem you would save battery by using PUSH vs 15 min fetch.

Fetch checks for messages every 15 mins if you have an email or not using battery juice. PUSH just keeps an open port connected to the email server and when a new email comes in, it pushes the email over that open connection.

When PUSH would be more of a drain is if you are getting like 10 - 20 emails in that 15 min period where it would be more economical to just download them all at once, but I doubt it's much worse.

Also, if you have bad cell coverage and have to keep establishing this push connection to the server this could put more of a drain on the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2