Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

2,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,084 Global Posts

Default GMail on the iPhone: IMAP or POP

Morning all, me again...

I've read a few things online, and I know one major benefit of IMAP is having your account/device match, in respect to data.

But, as for speed of delivery of emails, is using IMAP better than POP, or visa-versa?

I'm basically looking for the quickest way to receive GMail emails. Switching to Yahoo or ME is not an option.

Thanks in advance
    iMore Elite

2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,455 Global Posts

I like imap so that I have the same emails on my phone and my desktop. I've only had my iPhone since Saturday but the imap on gmail has been great for me.
    Last edited by big9erfan; 07-13-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

IMAP is better all the way around. Depending on the server, IMAP will push - pop will not. So if you're using GMail...eventually you'll get push if it's set up for IMAP.
    iMore Intermediate

265 Posts

iMore Intermediate

105 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

Here is a link to a great discussion, from the treocentral boards, about the benefits of IMAP:

I have imap for google and google apps, and love it. I never liked my pop accounts, since my desktop, laptop, and phone were not in sync. If I got mail on my phone, I had to be careful that I didn't delete it from the server, or it would be gone.
    iMore Pro

575 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,327 Global Posts

for google, imap is the way to go.
    iPhone Nanite

7 Posts

Imap >>>>>>>>>>> Pop