setting up Gmail - issues

sommerface

Jan 10, 2009
www.thevoiceof3.com
I promise that I did a search before posting this.

My friend got an iPhone 3G yesterday. I updated her software to 3.0, and then I worked on setting up her Gmail account on the phone. I followed the instructions that Gmail gave me. I kept getting an error message (which I don't remember what it said. Something about SSL not found), and now she can't send emails.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix for this? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Are you setting up the account with pop or imap? The account also has to be setup for pop or imap properly. Also make sure you are entering the full email when it asks for user name.

sommerface

Jan 10, 2009
www.thevoiceof3.com
I tried both and followed the instructions and rechecked everything over and over. I did enter her full email address for the user name.

I'll try again tonight or send her the directions so she can do it.

sommerface

Jan 10, 2009
www.thevoiceof3.com
it won't send emails, from what my friend has said. I even checked my phone's settings to make sure i had it set up.

I just didn't know if the 3.0 upgrade is causing issues or if it's user error. So I thought I would take it to the forum.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Probably wasn't changing the default ports to what Gmail wants.

For other people who have this issue, you should just setup Gmail on your PC or Mac, then Sync. The settings will move over to your iPhone, then you'll just need to enter your password once.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice