Gmail push that works

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I did a search and I didn't see anything along these lines... I found a posting on another forum that allows you to get push Gmail.

I started playing around and I think I have capilized on your thoughts
here, not sure if this has been posted. Here is how I simulated a
push account for Gmail:

1) You will need both your Gmail account and another account that
supports "push" (like yahoo or MobileME).
2) On your Gmail account under settings forward all new mail to your
push account. (this will allow the iphone to see the inbound mail).
3) On the iPhone setup mail accounts for both Gmail and your push
account.
4) Now under the push account turn off the primary SMTP and use the
Gmail SMTP as the only working alternative.
5) Turn off the Gmail account on the iPhone (to avoid duplications)

What does this get you? Well the Push account (yahoo) will let you
read and your gmail account will let you send with your gmail address
intact. No need to have both accounts active.

Basically you forward your Gmail to your Yahoo! account, sync your iPhone with Yahoo! Mail and set your Gmail forwarding settings to 'Delete Gmail's Copy". When sending e-mail from your phone select the Gmail SMTP server and voila... I know Yahoo! push isnt the greatest but it's a hell of a lot faster than every 15 minutes... Being a BlackBerry convert, I have to have push email. Apologies if this has been posted before. Being a former BlackBerry user I am finding myself frustrated with the majority of the iPhone user base. Thank god for TiPb. Cheers -Jeff

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I've had something similar setup for a while now, but was never able to change the SMTP on the ymail account. I can still just change the FROM: to gmail since I have both accounts (I don't forward everything gmail, only the good stuff) so it's not a big deal.

r0k

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't retrieve gmail on my iPhone. I use Mobile Me. I know it's expensive but I've had it for a few years now and enjoy things like BackToMyMac and I have a few thousand photos published on the thing. Funny that Apple made extensive use of flash (via iWeb) and now treats flash like some sort of leper. I've thought about dumping MoMe more than once, but I do like having all my contacts, calendar, etc pushed OTA. When I picked up my iPhone 4 in September, I had all my contacts, etc on the phone before I left the Apple store. Same when I picked up my iPad last April. Had everything on it before leaving the Apple store. Hopefully Apple offers some price break on the simpler sync features of MoMe sinces it's possible to get a lot of that for free via google, yahoo, etc.

I went from BB to iPhone and I was used to push email. I find MoMe works just as well as BB. In fact, when I was walking around with a BB and an iPod Touch, I often found I had email on my 'Touch sooner than it arrived on the BB!

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
That tells the server how many days of mail to display on your phone. This way if you get a lot of mail you can limit the view to days, weeks, or infinite.

cortland1998

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Another Exchange alternative to Googles, is NuevaSync. I have been using them for a couple years to get PUSH on my iPhone 3g back in the day.

They sync contacts, email, and calendar. Lots of options!

Their site is: www dot NuevaSync dot com

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner