Gmail trouble

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I am having some serious trouble with my gmail. I had ti set up correctly last night, but today it does not seem to be able to access my gmail account anymore. When I try to verify, it tells me it cannot connect with a SSL. When I try without it, it still does not work. What am I doing wrong here?

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I was looking at the earlier. I think that was made for a different version of the software I have because I cannot find any of those screens...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ah, they exist... the trick is when you are setting up GMAIL you must leave your password blank and then a option for setting up the account manually appears... that's your issue right there.

If you simply just set up gmail from the icon it sets it up as pop. That's your issue.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Yes. I have done everything... I have deleted my account from my iphone a few times, could that hurt it? It was working alright at one point then it stopped getting my new emails. Just keeps telling me it cannot connect to the servers

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Sorry, I'm out of guesses as I don't use Gmail. But removing the account from the phone would not make it do this. Maybe a Gmail issue currently? Not sure. Sorry man.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Well what about a system restore... Maybe I did something without knowing it. Can I back up all my contacts, apps, and songs onto itunes so when I restore I not have to go through the whole process again?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Sorry, I'm out of guesses as I don't use Gmail. But removing the account from the phone would not make it do this. Maybe a Gmail issue currently? Not sure. Sorry man.

My gmail broke one time. I spent hours trying to fix it. I didn't really do anything that made it work and I gave up. Then the next time I checked it, it was working again.

So I would just give it a rest for a few hours and then try again. If it still doesn't work then try to delete the account and readd it. If it still doesn't work then try to do a restore with backup. If that still doesn't work you might need to just do a full restore as new iPhone, just make sure you backup your contacts to outlook or something so you can sync them back in after.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
My gmail broke one time. I spent hours trying to fix it. I didn't really do anything that made it work and I gave up. Then the next time I checked it, it was working again.

So I would just give it a rest for a few hours and then try again. If it still doesn't work then try to delete the account and readd it. If it still doesn't work then try to do a restore with backup. If that still doesn't work you might need to just do a full restore as new iPhone, just make sure you backup your contacts to outlook or something so you can sync them back in after.

Thanks Dizzy... I was hoping it was not something I had done. Is there any other way to backup contacts and other information on the iphone? I think I am going to stay away from outlook.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Thanks Dizzy... I was hoping it was not something I had done. Is there any other way to backup contacts and other information on the iphone? I think I am going to stay away from outlook.

Not sure about this one since I use exchange all my contacts are just in my server / outlook and sync constantly over the air to my phone. So I never have to back them up.

Was kind of cool when I got my iPhone I setup my exchange account and had all my contacts instantly while still standing outside the apple store :)

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about this one since I use exchange all my contacts are just in my server / outlook and sync constantly over the air to my phone. So I never have to back them up.

Was kind of cool when I got my iPhone I setup my exchange account and had all my contacts instantly while still standing outside the apple store :)

I would love to do that... I just need to figure out how to set it up so that my home Outlook does not empty my work emails off the server and into my home computer...

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I would love to do that... I just need to figure out how to set it up so that my home Outlook does not empty my work emails off the server and into my home computer...

You can connect your Outlook at home to your work exchange server just how it would work in the office with a direct exchange connection. Only difference is it uses a special over the internet connection instead of a LAN connection. This way anything you send from home will be in your sent box at your office and on your iPhone. You should ask your IT dept. how to set that up for your home computer.

I have this setup for some of my clients that use laptops and take them with them when they go home. They can work in or out of the office and their outlook still works the same.

But there is no reason why you can't setup your iPhone to connect to your exchange account using the exchange connection now!

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Is your gmail on the iPhone still broken?

You were spot on Dizzy! It is not working perfectly, but it is at least letting me send and receive a few messages. Thanks for all your help yesterday! :)

I am hoping I can get it to run smoothly by the end of the day.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox