Gmail Push :(

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
So, as of right now Gmail does not push to the iPhone. Yahoo has had it since 2.0 was released, but Google has not come up with a solution yet.

After doing some research to see if I could get push to work, I found out that there are a couple of ways you can get push from Gmail. You have to forward your Gmail account through an Exchange server, a Yahoo account, or a MobileMe account.

I will update this post later this evening... Don't have time right now... just wanted to start the thread so I remembered :)

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Forwarding my Gmail to my MobileMe email works instantly. Love it. Plus not having push Gmail actually made me get MobileMe and I can honestly say, I do not regret getting MobileMe at all, I like it a lot.

RolloM

Jan 2, 2004
Visit site
Tuna,

GMail push does not work because Apple has decided to have an exclusive deal with Yahoo. Exclusive deals are a good way to make even more money out of a product you sell (Yahoo certainly paid for this opportunity), but a bad way to make people happy (because the exclusive partner does not have to compete with others and can rest on his laurels once he has the deal). This is not Google's fault, it's Apple's.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
RolloM,

Any evidence of an exclusive deal with Yahoo?

Gmail doesn't push on all other platforms either (which is why the idea of open source Android, which does get push, leading to code-exploration is appealing to so many).

Of course, Google and Yahoo have both divided up iPhone territory (maps vs. stocks/weather), but search has options for both...

tuna

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I was just going to write about the options, but TiPB had a blog post that summed it up. Funny thing they posted the blog post right after I posted mine:)

I can understand the fact that google would figure out Push for the G1 before they would give it to iPhone users. Makes good business sense. I'm about to try forwarding trough a Yahoo account to get push notifications for my Gmail. Then I can go into my Gmail account and manually update everything from my phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was just going to write about the options, but TiPB had a blog post that summed it up. Funny thing they posted the blog post right after I posted mine:)

I can understand the fact that google would figure out Push for the G1 before they would give it to iPhone users. Makes good business sense. I'm about to try forwarding trough a Yahoo account to get push notifications for my Gmail. Then I can go into my Gmail account and manually update everything from my phone.

I can assure you that article was written before you post went up. Now it may have been posted after your thread was started, not sure but regardless, it was written well before your thread was started. :cool:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It was the G1 shipping that put it first and foremost in all our minds, I'd guess. (At least that's what got our current crop of Android articles going).

megscd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been getting Gmail on my iPhone before it gets to my Mac for the last 36 hours, and my Mac polls every 5 minutes. Whazzup with that? My iPhone is set to poll only every hour! Maybe Gmail flipped a magic switch or something?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2