iAD Profit

excepter

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

I use both of iAD and Admob. I still think iAD is better profit than Admob.
But recently thier fill rate is quite low.

How do you think iAD vs Admob?

Artcue

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The fillrate depends on how many clicks you generated, so it drops, if not many people click on your ads...
and yes, I agree, use mobclix.

nadavhart

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Adwhirl is also good way to use both. Generally iAD CPM is better, but not many countries get ads while admob pay less but it is international.

Aug 12, 2011
www.jayfuerstenberg.com
My advice, don't chase for a trickle from these ad frameworks. Charge your users directly and make real money. They'll enjoy the no ad experience and you'll be better off. If you do advertise in your apps do it for your own apps so people will discover more of your works.

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I tend to agree with jay regarding ads. As an app user, I'd prefer that ads do not appear. Especially if I've paid for the app. In a free app, I'd probably put up with them if they're infrequent.

As a developer, I'd vastly prefer that the user buy the app as opposed to getting paid per impression or click or conversion. The app should have perceived intrinsic value as opposed to being perceived as an ad delivery platform.

Just my 2 cents.

pmararav

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Making an app without ads and selling it is by far the best.
The ads do tend to screw a bit the app design and the developer has no control over them (if your app has blue background design and you get an ad with a purple one is mehhh)

However, not all do buy apps. There are many people who prefer the ad-enabled free version rather than the paid one.

Perhaps a good solution is to make 2 versions of the app, one free with ads and another paid and ad-free so you can have everyone happy.

DanSilov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
As a developer and a frequent apps user I have yet to remember a case when I actually clicked on an ad in an app. Quite often I find myself removing app that has apps and looking for alternatives, even paid ones, without ads.

On a development side I've released a lite version of my app and added ads there just for additional incentive for users to get the full version. Don't really hope to make any profit there.

TamnoLice

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have iAD in my App. But I only get Revenue from US. In Germany I get Impressions but no Revenue. I probably will change to mobfox for europe.

newmoog

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Apple is not marketing well enough the iAd solution and that's the biggest problem. It's still too pricey for advertisers. The iAd framework itself is a brilliant tool but it needs better marketing.

Patrice Khal

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
For us, iAd is A LOT more interesting. Impressions are lower than adMob but eCPM is a lot higher.
Can't give details because it's unauthorized by contract.
It stays difficult, in our cases, to gain enough revenues with ad solutions, just helps a bit.

cosborn

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
From what I've gathered, free apps are downloaded multitudes more than paid apps. Having a paid app out there myself, without a massive advertising budget, sales are not good. It's an excellent app, just that there is no way for anyone to know it's good unless they know it even exists. A free app, even with ads, will get far more downloads and at least get your name out there to build on. Using the ad networks is nice if you have enough users to generate some income, and with a huge user base can make way more money than the app could if it were a paid app. The trick is getting it downloaded in the first place. Advertising your own apps is an excellent idea, because then a successful free app (the app that has a greater chance of getting downloaded a LOT more) can help to feed the paid apps some downloads.

joteykj

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps a good solution is to make 2 versions of the app, one free with ads and another paid and ad-free so you can have everyone happy.

Yes, I agreed with pmararav. Making 2 versions and make everyone happy. I think a lot of paying users like to test the free version before purchase made.

cdbeshore

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I considered using ads in my app, but decided to put out a .99 version and a Lite version for free with no ads. My disdain for ad banner is the apps I use led to this decision.

Prospectus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
From what I've gathered, free apps are downloaded multitudes more than paid apps. Having a paid app out there myself, without a massive advertising budget, sales are not good. It's an excellent app, just that there is no way for anyone to know it's good unless they know it even exists. A free app, even with ads, will get far more downloads and at least get your name out there to build on. Using the ad networks is nice if you have enough users to generate some income, and with a huge user base can make way more money than the app could if it were a paid app. The trick is getting it downloaded in the first place. Advertising your own apps is an excellent idea, because then a successful free app (the app that has a greater chance of getting downloaded a LOT more) can help to feed the paid apps some downloads.

I'd never thought of advertising for yourself in your own free app, but that makes great sense. Thanks for the idea!

SyGem

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
i think iAd is not useful on a traditional app who don't have enough user, no ?

Yes, you are quite correct - without the large user base you won't make much money. As an example, I released a game on Friday with iAd. If iAd fails to deliver an advert it falls back to AdMob. The game has had just over 700 downloads on the first 2 days, and I'm not making much money. If ad revenue scales up with number of downloads, then if I can achieve 100 times the downloads, I would be happy with the advertising income.

I still plan to create a .99c version, and an IAP for removal of ads though. I don't want to rely solely on the ads.

DoodleDudeDan

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
My Lite version, which is free, has ads. The game is built on cocos2d and uses a modified adRootViewController based on original code from Jos? Andrade. (Google or github to find it). My modified version defaults to iAds when available, but serves up admob ads when they aren't.

Here's what I've seen:

Apple's fill rate isn't always the greatest, but you want to serve Apple ads whenever they are available because the revenue rate is better. Apple's best performance is definitely in the US. AdMobs fill rate, is consistently better in Europe and Asia. Nobody seems to do very well in Central/South America and ads in Africa simply appear to be non-existent.

It's worth putting ads into a free app but make sure that it also upsells to your Full version with the promise of removing the ads. But when you do show ads, make sure to include at least 2 differing services to ensure you get good coverage. :D

DoodleDudeDan