Need permission to use websites in your app?

ckesten#IM

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello - I am making an app that will have icons that when clicked will open up a website. Each icon to different website.

Do I need permission to add these sites from the site owners?

I understand I could contact and ask but it is a lot of sites and just wondering if it was necessary.

thanks

evanluthra

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
i am still 15 so am not sure . but..
i dont think so , the internet is free .. or you could send in a mass mail to all the sites and wait for a reply.

[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/evan-luthra-industries/id396657526?at=10l3Vy][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickq

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you need the permission of these sites at all, don't waste time asking for permission. As an example, the app we have on the App Store (ScanBizCards) refers users to a number of web sites for information about recommended accessory. In our category other apps do a LinkedIn look up for contacts - again doubtful these app need LinkedIn's permission. Just one thing: you may want to ask for permission if the icon you present for these links is the site's trademarked logo - but even so sites are usually fine with their logo used in that manner.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
i am still 15 so am not sure . but..
i dont think so , the internet is free .. or you could send in a mass mail to all the sites and wait for a reply.

check out my apps if you have the time : Just one thing: you may want to ask for permission if the icon you present for these links is the site's trademarked logo - but even so sites are usually fine with their logo used in that manner.

+1 Same if you use a trademarked slogon or catch prase.

Now if you created a custom icon then it should be fine, but the icon shouldnt look at all close to the actual site logo.

Reactions: Tramain

evanluthra

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
and Evan, the internet is not "free". You still pay for it, unless you go to a public wi-fi hotspot, but bouncing off your neighbors is kind of rude.

i ddint mean that.
i meant that the content that is not copyrighted , can be used at ones own will.

telling another app dev about the apps you develop isnt considered spam , at least not by my terms.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods