Testing an iPhone App

jamest

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have developed an iPhone App and I wanted to test it before its release. The App testing at Testing4Success.com looks good, so just wondering if anyone else has tried it, or if they have an iPhone App testing company they could recommend.

My App is quite complex, and so I do not want to risk testing it myself.

msencenb

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming you have tested it yourself though? Not doing any testing yourself at all is simply not smart.

I would recommend just giving it to friends/family and let them play with it. You will discover usability issues as well as bugs :)

neutrinos

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Definitely, you should do some testing on your own. It is probably worth testing on multiple versions of hardware / iOS to ensure it works across them all.

cmsell

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Obviously testing it yourself is required, but the problem is that with various devices now (several iPhones, several iTouces, and one iPad), its very difficult for the average joe to test on all devices.

superaj#IM

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you have friends that have iphones, why not have them install your app and tell them to test specific parts of it if it's complex?

AvisNocturna

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I suggest that you look for friends with iphone, touches or ipads. Most indie developers are testing their apps like this (I did too). But the first step in my opinion is that you test your app yourself as thoroughly as possible and make a code freeze before you start testing. Only fix bugs after the code freeze, do not add features or optimizations. Otherwise, you can start over testing since any larger modification can break other things.

iSpindle

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Test it yourself until can't find any bugs, then pass it to family and friends that you can trust. Let them play with it and see if they come across any bugs or issues. I wouldn't trust any third-party to test an app. Best of luck!

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I think he means he can't do all the testing himself...

However, testing4success I've heard good things about. Friend of mine used them but I would say from experience that you should test with friends and family then do a release... wait for feedback then maybe after an update you should use a 3rd party. You don't wanna pay for a service only to find your code is good!

WordHooker

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
using friends and family in app testing

friends and family are good to test features, but not look for bugs. They will help you discover that some things which are obvious to you may not be to others, and this can help you improve the usability of your app.

HuaxuCC

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I suggest find friends and families with different devices and let them test it via ad hoc. I think they can provide opinions more directly to you, and since they are the real user, their opinion might even more useful.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Test it as much as you can and give it to friends and family members.

I'm not sure how 3rd party test services work really (if you can outline specific test cases you want looked at etc) but I say if all checks out with you and your friend's testing...then submit. If Apple comes back with an issue during their testing then consider using a 3rd party service if you feel unsure about the App then.

You know what they say..."If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0"

AppsCyclone

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If you have budget, 3rd party is a good solution. They have process and techniques to ensure the quality of your application when it's released and have responsible on any escaped bug. You'll surely learn a lot from them also.
Not go with Testing4Success.com yet but it looks good.

monitoronly

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced important differences with older iPhones, generating unexpected development challenges. Do recommend to test it carefully since not everyone has the latest iPhone 4

LifewareSolutions

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
friends and family are good to test features, but not look for bugs. They will help you discover that some things which are obvious to you may not be to others, and this can help you improve the usability of your app.

This is true especially if you don't have a budget for testing - you might discover a lot from listening to your testers. Especially on what to improve to make it better, and prevent bad reviews on iTunes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2