Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

183 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts

Default Iphone 4.0 multitasking:Call Blocking

With 4.0 out for the dev people, does anyone see a way to write a call blocking app? Something with White Listing and Black Listing of numbers? I used to use Antair BlackBerry Call Screener on my Blackberry and now that I'm a full fledged iPhone convert and sold all my Blackberry's, I really need a app that will do it. I can't jailbreak because the new 3GS that I bought had 3.1.3 already on it with the new bootrom.

iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Default No you cannot

The overall OS limitation hasn't been changed in 4.0, what really has changed is internal request for different operation of the OS.

For instance if you want your Application to still keep alive your Audio capability you have to write a module in your App and define it as the part that links streaming audio to headphone, this part is kept alive with simple idea of link on one side and output which is Handled on other side by the OS, your actual App is closed anyways.

Quick App swapping is nothing more than saving the state of your app and closing it, when your app is started again it opens normally but its saved state is reloaded from the EPROM, thus it doesn't use any extra memory or processing to handle these "background" apps.

Even iPhone 1.0 was multi tasking capable its running FreeBSD in the background anyways, but these features are limited by iPhone's Framework, thus still Application's can't be built that could blacklist incoming calls as they do not have access to baseband unless you jailbreak it.
    iMore Guru

1,714 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,469 Global Posts

Not clear that there is an API that provides access to the phone function. Sure would be nice though.
    iPhone Elite

2,432 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

For safety reasons I kinda think this functionality should be built into the OS...
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

Safety reasons? Would you care to expand upon that?