iPhone OS 3.0: Can I downgrade if it won't work.?

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have done about 50 RIM BlackBerry OS 4.5, 4.6, and 4.7 betas, and by and large, they always worked better than the "official" ones. I could always downgrade if one didn't work so well.

Is this true for the iPhone 3G as well? If I take the plunge and install 3.0 beta 1, would I be able to return to 2.2.1, or is this a one-way flight?

Thanks!!

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind...if you have not had your UDID registered with apple as a developer or one of their beta testers, your phone will not work after updating to 3.0. So if you do try, make sure you have your phone registered.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've also downgraded back to 2.2.1 and have the probably common data connectivity issues.

I went back to 3.0 to see if I could recreate the no data issue and I can't. All is well. So with that being said it is for sure a issue with 3.0's baseband being on 2.2.1.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Again, 3.0 is a *real* beta. Meant for developers and testers. Not a prime time release. No way I'd recommend anyone using it day-to-day on primary phone.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I went back to 3.0 to see if I could recreate the no data issue and I can't. All is well. So with that being said it is for sure a issue with 3.0's baseband being on 2.2.1.

After rolling back to 2.2.1 did you try turning 3G off and seeing what happened with your connection? I live in an area with no 3G service, so I turn it off to conserve battery life, but even if I turned it on before I would have service. Not anymore, I am going to an area tomorrow that has good 3G service, so I turned it on tonight, so I wouldn't forget tomorrow, and I get "Searching" and "No Service". As soon as I turn it off again I get full bars of Edge.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
After rolling back to 2.2.1 did you try turning 3G off and seeing what happened with your connection? I live in an area with no 3G service, so I turn it off to conserve battery life, but even if I turned it on before I would have service. Not anymore, I am going to an area tomorrow that has good 3G service, so I turned it on tonight, so I wouldn't forget tomorrow, and I get "Searching" and "No Service". As soon as I turn it off again I get full bars of Edge.

Yeah, EDGE and 3G worked fine. It's funny how different people can have totally different issues on the same beta.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2