Buddy bought his first iPad and...

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
So my friend bought an iPad Pro 9.7 inch in slate gray and an apple smart cover in the same color. He said he was considering getting the iPad with a Sim card so that he could use it as a phone. I told him as far as I know you have to connect it to your iPhone and then you can use it as a connected device only. But he insists that the guy at Costco said he could've used his iPad Pro independently, but how could that be? I never heard of this before and I know there are apps for the iPad to make calls if I'm not mistaken but who is correct here????

he ended up not getting the Sim card available iPad Pro just the regular Wi-Fi, but we are still trying to figure out if it is possible to make calls with the iPad Pro without being connected to an iPhone?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Not "calls" with an independent number. I am sure there is a way to make calls but not in the traditional sense. You can get lte enabled iPad pro for independent data use.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Not "calls" with an independent number. I am sure there is a way to make calls but not in the traditional sense. You can get lte enabled iPad pro for independent data use.

Well yes there is always Skype and Facebook or WhatsApp calls through Wi-Fi but I'm talking about normal phone calls through cellular data without an iPhone present, and I don't think you can do that correct?

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
No.
Although my wife's iPad had a phone number when it was active I think that was solely for the lte data access and billing , not phone calls.

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Only VOIP calls as far as I'm aware the sim iPad allowing to use cellular data. I'm wanting the Google voice service here in the U.K. to link my mobile number to google's voice service.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a cellular iPad Pro through Verizon. It has a phone number assigned to it but it cannot be used to make traditional phone calls. Just as @knotsure said it's for data access and billing only.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
VoIP only, such as Skype, Google Hangouts/Google Voice, Whatsapp, BBM, etc most of which DO allow you to reach regular phones often with a fee. Although platform to platform is almost always free, such as Skype user to Skype user. He will also be able to use Facetime to video chat with other Apple product users.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
VoIP only, such as Skype, Google Hangouts/Google Voice, Whatsapp, BBM, etc most of which DO allow you to reach regular phones often with a fee. Although platform to platform is almost always free, such as Skype user to Skype user. He will also be able to use Facetime to video chat with other Apple product users.

Or Facetime audio without the video.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW