I get it! I get why people hate Safari!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm done with Safari...on Mac anyway. After spending nearly 3 hours to do what should only take 30 minutes tops because of constant pinwheeling....I'm done. I'll see what other browsers can actually handle workflow. It's not my internet, not when I get between 500-600mbps down on Google Fiber. So it must be Safari, going to try Chrome for a bit, though I hear that's starting to go the way of Firefox. Anyone else ditch Safari for another browser? What browser do you use now?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still on Safari but I'm not having an issue. I use Chrome for the times when I need Flash, because there are still web sites out there that want to use Flash for some awful reason.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Been using safari for about 5+ years now and I've never thought about switching. Always works wonderfully :)

Maybe try Internet Explorer. I've heard good things about it 😂 lol

If I had to choose another one, I would probably take Google Chrome or Opera. They seem to be doing a good job.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Been using safari for about 5+ years now and I've never thought about switching. Always works wonderfully :)

Maybe try Internet Explorer. I've heard good things about it 😂 lol

If I had to choose another one, I would probably take Google Chrome or Opera. They seem to be doing a good job.
I've heard that the new Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is nice. But, like Safari, I only use it to install Chrome.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I've heard that the new Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is nice. But, like Safari, I only use it to install Chrome.

Very important to note that the new browser is not just a renamed "Internet Explorer". It's a totally different web browser called "Microsoft Edge" which is replacing Internet Explorer as the default web browser on all devices :) Definitely leaps and bounds better. Nothing wrong with using Safari to download Chrome, i actually really like Chrome and use it at school everyday but Safari just works for me so i don't feel the need to change something thats working fine at the moment.

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site

Actually it's the same old IE on Windows 10 (11). They have a new browser called Microsoft Edge which is a definite improvement, but I still used Firefox on Win.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I only use Safari to download Chrome, then it's never used again.

What do you mean by this? I'm just curious as I haven't used Firefox in ages.

I'm trying to remember what it is, it's been a while and I can't remember if it came up in discussion or a quick glance while browsing. I believe it has to do with how Firefox became convoluted and didn't update enough and started crashing frequently which is why people went to Chrome. I'll share any major issues I run into, so far it's running much faster than Safari.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on Safari but I'm not having an issue. I use Chrome for the times when I need Flash, because there are still web sites out there that want to use Flash for some awful reason.

That's how I was, and Safari is great for casual web browsing. If you try to do work though, Safari loses it. Safari bogs down to near un-usability when I post my reviews. It's a probably a combination of Safari, the Grammarly extension, and macOS beta, but it really does become unusable for posting my reviews.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Very important to note that the new browser is not just a renamed "Internet Explorer". It's a totally different web browser called "Microsoft Edge" which is replacing Internet Explorer as the default web browser on all devices :) Definitely leaps and bounds better. Nothing wrong with using Safari to download Chrome, i actually really like Chrome and use it at school everyday but Safari just works for me so i don't feel the need to change something thats working fine at the moment.
Actually it's the same old IE on Windows 10 (11). They have a new browser called Microsoft Edge which is a definite improvement, but I still used Firefox on Win.

My apologies, I forgot about Microsoft Edge!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to remember what it is, it's been a while and I can't remember if it came up in discussion or a quick glance while browsing. I believe it has to do with how Firefox became convoluted and didn't update enough and started crashing frequently which is why people went to Chrome. I'll share any major issues I run into, so far it's running much faster than Safari.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a lot of the Firefox developers went to Chrome, so that's kind of what I was thinking.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My only experience with Safari has been on my iPhone and iPad, so I'm really not used to it at all. At work, I use Chrome, and sometimes IE (because certain programs I have to use will only work on IE). I much prefer Chrome, and when I used a laptop about home, I used Chrome exclusively. It's interesting to read about Microsoft Edge, but I'm not sure it's supported yet by the IT department here at work. It's definitely worth checking into!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Chrome user on my work Macbook pro. I use Safari on my home Macbook Pro. I use Safari on my phone.

Chrome is nice at handling excessive tabs and it works well for power users. But it can get resource hungry at times. I just like how it syncs across all my devices by simply signing in. At work, we're a Google institution. So its easier to use Chrome. I'd recommend it if you're not happy with Safari. Some of our users use Firefox but only because some websites require it.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
My only experience with Safari has been on my iPhone and iPad, so I'm really not used to it at all. ‪!

What I literally hate about Safari on the iPad is how if you flip to landscape it will present the bookmarks over half the screen! There doesn't appear to be any way to correct this obvious flaw. It's like you look at a movie marquee in the lobby then go sit for the movie and half the screen is taken up with that blasted marquee. I can't imagine why this is so!

And there doesn't seem to be any way to delete all open tabs with Chrome.

danieltank

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I'm a former Windows user so I use Chrome. I just want to have all my old data including accounts, passwords, bookmark so don't want to switch to Safari. However, experience with Chrome is still better.

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm impressed with how well Safari works on my newest devices now that it can use an ad blocker. It's all I'm using now.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm done with Safari...on Mac anyway. After spending nearly 3 hours to do what should only take 30 minutes tops because of constant pinwheeling....I'm done. I'll see what other browsers can actually handle workflow. It's not my internet, not when I get between 500-600mbps down on Google Fiber. So it must be Safari, going to try Chrome for a bit, though I hear that's starting to go the way of Firefox. Anyone else ditch Safari for another browser? What browser do you use now?

I quit using Chrome when I got my MBP because it was always showing up in the battery meter as a battery hog. I believe they have since fixed that (apparently according to updates). I still use Safari though as it's what I'm used to now, and have it setup the way I like it. I also use the Reading List feature a bunch (though on Chrome at work since there is no Safari I use Pocket with an IFTTT recipe to add them)

I've had pinwheel on occasion but not very often, and not enough to make me want to stop using Safari.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh