Not many stores seem to know what Apple Pay is.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Since I added Apple Pay a couple of weeks ago I've used it once at 7:11. I dig it I think it's cool and I wish more places had it. The one grocery store I go to has no idea if they have it, none of the clerks know when I asked. There Is usually a big lineup so I don't bother wasting time trying it but if I'm not seeing a little Apple Pay symbol on the debit machine I'm just assuming they don't. I find myself explaining to a few different clerks and showing them what it looks like on my phone because they just have no clue. One of the clerks thought that if you can tap and pay with your debit card then Apple Pay would work.

I'm not sure that's the case?

So far I know that subway and 7-Eleven in Canada have it. I also asked at the Canadian tire gas bar but they have no idea.

I think it's a good idea because you don't necessarily have to have your wallet on you if you're going shopping, maybe other than your drivers license. But it would be a lot better if more places seem to know anything about it or offered it. I recently bought something off the Internet off a website that advertised as having it but the one seller I bought from didn't have the Apple Pay symbol so I used debit through the Internet. That was a first for me also, it was seamless. I would've never normally been able to buy the item if I didn't have Apple Pay to at least use it as a debit. If you enter your debit card into your iPhone, you can use debit or Apple Pay, so I have learned.

I'm just curious if you use Apple Pay do you like it and also what do you think any drawbacks might be, what do you think any advantages might be and are you like me wishing that more places had it. Perhaps in the US more places offer locations I can take advantage of it in Canada but I think things might be getting a little more popular..

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't see any drawbacks. I love using it.

Even though stores have the Apple Pay sticker on the outside of it, the employees look at me like I have 3 heads when I go to pull my phone out to pay my bill.

Funny story from a few weeks ago. I went to a store and went to pay for something. The cashier sees me look at the card machine (I've used Apple Pay there before, so I know they have it) she asks me if my card has a chip. I said no and that I was going to use my card. She says she doesn't know what I'm talking about and calls a manager over.

The manager comes over and says "we don't have the software for Apple Pay"

I reply "yes you do, I've used it here before"

She leans over the counter and says " listen, in the manager and I would know if we had it or not" with a very cocky tone.

So now I'm determined to prove her wrong. So I say run it through and trigger the card reader. She does and I use my phone. She looked super embarrassed and says "huh! I didn't think we had that" and walked away.

So not only do we have it here. The employees have no clue that we have it here. Lol

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Lols yeah I definitely think they're not briefing their employees if they have it, and you think that it would be important for them to know I mean I'm pretty surprised the manager didn't know but it's good you proved her wrong ha ha

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I've used it several stores and had a similar "we don't have that" initial reaction. After I pulled my iPhone out and used it I got the same "huh..." response. Lol

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
So not only do we have it here. The employees have no clue that we have it here. Lol

Common, I think. First time I used my new watch it was a surprise to both me and the clerk. They're often astonished at the process. And it's no real trouble to try it. Just place the gadget on the screen and hold your card in the other hand. Certainly no more hindrance to the line behind than the old days when someone would slowly fumble for a checkbook AFTER the sales were trying up.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Common, I think. First time I used my new watch it was a surprise to both me and the clerk. They're often astonished at the process. And it's no real trouble to try it. Just place the gadget on the screen and hold your card in the other hand. Certainly no more hindrance to the line behind than the old days when someone would slowly fumble for a checkbook AFTER the sales were trying up.

True, but let's just say I have a limited tolerance for getting dirty looks from impatient peeps in the lineup. Not all Canadians are "polite." I've seen a guy yell at the grocery clerk because they had to do a price check.

This is why if they offer ApplePay I would hope they put the little Sticker indicating it like Subway does.

2 days ago was paying by normal debit card and while I was doing that, I asked if they had Apple Pay, and she didn't know, so I showed the clerk what it looks like on the iPhone. The debit "timed out" and I THOUGHT I had completed the process. Had to do it again.

I never do price checks either, I will buy the item even if I know there is a discount I did not get, then I will take it to the Service counter and have them rectify it so as not to make people wait in the lineup.

If there is no lineup then I will try ApplePay.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR