Wutttt!? Anyone agree with this? Was just reading that Apple has fallen to 5th place in the 2017 laptop rankings. The rankings for 2017:

1. Lenovo
    2. Asus
    3. Dell
    4. HP
    5. Apple & Acer (shared 5th place)
    04-11-2017 01:28 PM
    Between pricing difference and the removal of the function row, I can see it. People love them some function keys. If the Touch Bar had been added above the function row, it would probably be a different story. Oh, and dongles....nobody likes dongles.
    04-11-2017 01:48 PM
    More people can afford the top 3.
    04-11-2017 03:03 PM
    Lenovo... LOL. I wouldn't touch a Lenovo laptop with a 10 foot pole!
    Jude526 likes this.
    04-11-2017 05:49 PM
    Wutttt!? Anyone agree with this? Was just reading that Apple has fallen to 5th place in the 2017 laptop rankings. The rankings for 2017:

1. Lenovo
    2. Asus
    3. Dell
    4. HP
    5. Apple & Acer (shared 5th place)
    I'm not surprised. I mean, a lot of people prefer the ability to turn their full-fledged laptop computer into a tablet. The newest MacBook, in the opinions of many, didn't bring anything to the table. Of course, it's a quality and well built machine, but there's isn't a touchscreen or the ability to use the Pencil with it.
    04-11-2017 06:08 PM
    Unfortunately, Apple lost it's romantic shine it used to have, and lowered itself to a phone company, competing and court battling with the likes of Samsung and other Chinese knockoffs. Definitely "Samsung is wrong" with Apple. The whole company is tuned toward iOS. Yes iPhone has been successful so far, but it's the seeds Steve Jobs planted, and current management is just harvesting it.
    Apple once tried to beat Windows and has been successful. Witnessed the proliferation of shiny silver laptop with Apple logo. This was the result of all-out effort by Apple to get the excellent products out. Remember "You are a PC, and I am a Mac" ads? It worked! Also, Apple used to own educational and professional graphic market. Now they are lost while the company is making a mad dash to increase iPhone profit.
    In addition, greedy high pricing everything and milking us has started affecting the market. Look at the soldered RAM socket, for example. What does it mean, really? It means, we won't let you upgrade by yourself. Instead update it by purchasing a new one. No wonder Apple is approaching a $ trillion company. It's all our money.

During this whole time, much maligned M$ is quietly seeping into Mac's heart, offering Surface tablet and iOS Office suite for free. What's going on!

Steve Jobs once said "A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them". And, "We built the Mac for ourselves. We were the group of people who were going to judge whether it was great or not. We weren't going to go out and do market research."

Hockey great Wayne Gretzky once said, and Steve Jobs quoted often "I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been."

Where have Apple we used to know gone? Apple, please, please come back to us. You have made enough money. It's a time to reinvest it. Don't be timid (pun intended). Take a risk and push forward. Now you can.
    Last edited by xanadome; 04-12-2017 at 11:08 PM.
    04-12-2017 10:57 PM
    Those top 4 companies have been offering much more power than the latest refresh of the Macs. Its not about the money, its about the performance. Their more popular computers are priced around the same as Macs, if not cheaper. Those companies make high end computers that people buy because they offer the most performance for the money they're worth.
    04-12-2017 11:02 PM
    No wonder Apple brasses made mea culpa. Unprecedented and embarrassing. I've been buying and using Mac for more than a quarter century. In the last few years, for the first time, I am comfortable looking out of Apple bubble for some attractive products from Apple's competitors. It is unthinkable even myself, but it's happening.

Hey, sometimes, we should be allowed to complain and lament :-)
    04-12-2017 11:22 PM
    I,m not surprised. Apple's last round of MBP's did not impress me. I use my machines for production. As much as Apple touted they designed them for just that, I could not agree with them. I've had the opportunity to try one and found I can be more productive on my 2010 MBP than one with a touch bar. I hope the next time around it is a better design. I still love working from my Apple devices so don't get me wrong. I still think they are a better quality product than the alternatives.
    Wotchered likes this.
    04-13-2017 10:21 AM
    Being new to Apple on a personal level I am surprised by the stats. I switched in January. I have previously used Gateway and HP. Both ended up being problematic for me. And I wasn't happy with Windows 10. I am very pleased with my switching and into the Mac Pro. I feel like I threw money away. My Mac will last me much longer than any PC I have used. I have no complaints. But like I said. New Mac user.
    05-14-2017 10:43 PM
    Lenovo... LOL. I wouldn't touch a Lenovo laptop with a 10 foot pole!
    Hahahah, ah, thanks for the laugh @metalchick719 you'll be surprised at how good they can actually be if you purchase the right one. Most of them, I will agree are not the greatest, but there are some good quality ones.

We actually have one in our house and it's been going strong for 5 years. We don't let it touch the MacBook Pros though. They can't be seen together. 😂 haha.

I think the drop in position ranking is due to cost and port availability. The $300 increase for some is just too much and spending $1399 was already a stretch. Plus now spending extra on (Dongles / adapters)
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-15-2017 08:54 AM
    Hahahah, ah, thanks for the laugh @metalchick719 you'll be surprised at how good they can actually be if you purchase the right one. Most of them, I will agree are not the greatest, but there are some good quality ones.

We actually have one in our house and it's been going strong for 5 years. We don't let it touch the MacBook Pros though. They can't be seen together. haha.

I think the drop in position ranking is due to cost and port availability. The $300 increase for some is just too much and spending $1399 was already a stretch. Plus now spending extra on (Dongles / adapters)
    My issue with Lenovo is the spyware the company's been known to include in its computers (not sure it still does that, but a few years ago, there was a ton of controversy over that happening). My boyfriend bought a Lenovo desktop over Black Friday last year and I really got on his case. I told him to research first before buying. He didn't listen to me.

I don't necessarily cater to the idea of buying brand new MacBooks, at least not personally or for everyone. I have two MacBook Pros, one of which I got used on eBay in April 2015 (the other I bought brand new back in 2011). No dongles needed! Over the years, I find myself more and more grateful that I ever bought a Mac. Personally, I find them so much more reliable than any Windows computer (and I do have one - Sony, NOT Lenovo, lol!).
    Matty likes this.
    05-15-2017 03:05 PM
    My issue with Lenovo is the spyware the company's been known to include in its computers (not sure it still does that, but a few years ago, there was a ton of controversy over that happening). My boyfriend bought a Lenovo desktop over Black Friday last year and I really got on his case. I told him to research first before buying. He didn't listen to me.

I don't necessarily cater to the idea of buying brand new MacBooks, at least not personally or for everyone. I have two MacBook Pros, one of which I got used on eBay in April 2015 (the other I bought brand new back in 2011). No dongles needed! Over the years, I find myself more and more grateful that I ever bought a Mac. Personally, I find them so much more reliable than any Windows computer (and I do have one - Sony, NOT Lenovo, lol!).
    It was the "superfish" fallout that lenovo knowingly installed on most or selected computer; I remembered that and till this day lenovo was on my do not buy list, even if it is to run linux on it. As far as the place for apple, it is to be expected. I am satisfied with my macbook air, sure it doesn't have much features as the new macbook pro; but I didn't need all of the ports. All I wanted was the trackpad and a keyboard.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    05-19-2017 11:18 PM
    ... No wonder Apple is approaching a $ trillion company. It's all our money.
    The primary goal of any business is to create a product and/or a service at a profit. Making money, in and of itself, is not a crime. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the overall contents of your post. However, I just don't think that it's fair to demonize a company for making a lot of money from the sale of its products and services of which we voluntarily purchase.
    Spencerdl and metalchick719 like this.
    05-20-2017 09:24 AM
    The primary goal of any business is to create a product and/or a service at a profit. Making money, in and of itself, is not a crime. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the overall contents of your post. However, I just don't think that it's fair to demonize a company for making a lot of money from the sale of its products and services of which we voluntarily purchase.
    Of course you are completely right. But I was not demonizing Apple. I loved Apple for over 25 years and still do, and a lot...

When Steve Jobs passed away, I tried not to personify the loss of a visionary.. But Apple was very much Steve Jobs at the time.

Then I began to see (I think) the total change of Apple with new management.

I take only one example here.
    When the global market share of iPhone is less than 20% while its profit share in the entire smartphone industry is something like 84%, I thought I saw some pattern. Of course Apple has been successful in maintaining the high brand image, competing only in a high end market. But still...
    This is compounded by the iPhone's share in Apple products approaching 60% (this even excludes iPad line of iOS products), they are too dependent on iPhone and iOS related products, neglecting other Mac lines of products. This finally blown up to their face, when shareholders finally started pointing this out, and executive made unprecedented apology of sorts that they did neglect other product lines than the phone.

The ultimate goal of any enterprise is make money and please shareholders, and I get that. But when the management got carried away by their success on iPhone, watch it, Don't dwell on the success. Remember RIM/Blackberry? How easy to lose money if you were a one trick pony :-)
    And I believe the current Apple is just busy harvesting the fruit of seeds planted by Jobs. OK, fine, but please go back to the roots of Apple we used to know, and plant next seeds.
    05-20-2017 09:48 AM
    Not trying to be persistent, but here are some of the quotes of what Jobs said.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been. - Jibs quoting Wayne Gretzky

A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them. - Steve Jobs

We built [the Mac] for ourselves. We were the group of people who were going to judge whether it was great or not. We weren't going to go out and do market research. - Steve Jobs

Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. - Steve Jobs at the unveiling of iPhone

These were the overall motivations and visions that were driving Apple. But today, it looks to me more about $ & cents with no real fun. But it seems that they are now at least trying to catch up Mac lines of products. Yes, "pipeline" may finally being filled up after all :-)
    05-20-2017 10:00 AM
    Of course you are completely right.
    Thank you.
    But I was not demonizing Apple.
    My apologies for the misinterpretation .
    I loved Apple for over 25 years and still do, and a lot...

When Steve Jobs passed away, I tried not to personify the loss of a visionary.. But Apple was very much Steve Jobs at the time.
    Agreed

Then I began to see (I think) the total change of Apple with new management.
    I've also noticed the transformation.

I take only one example here.
    When the global market share of iPhone is less than 20% while its profit share in the entire smartphone industry is something like 84%, I thought I saw some pattern. Of course Apple has been successful in maintaining the high brand image, competing only in a high end market. But still...
    Wait. Let's put some things into perspective. Granted, the iPhone is a premium device, however, acquiring one, especially here in the U.S., is not causing people to go broke. In many occasions, all a person have to do is sign a carrier contract and walk out the door with a brand new iPhone without shelling out a penny. Furthermore, in an attempt to bring smartphones to people in poorer nations, companies typically use Android devices made by not so well known companies to accomplish that mission. Those less expensive non-Apple smartphones will cause them to have a larger global market share.
    This is compounded by the iPhone's share in Apple products approaching 60% (this even excludes iPad line of iOS products), they are too dependent on iPhone and iOS related products, neglecting other Mac lines of products. This finally blown up to their face, when shareholders finally started pointing this out, and executive made unprecedented apology of sorts that they did neglect other product lines than the phone.
    . I agree that the iPhone is their primary focus and that their other products have suffered a bit because of it.

The ultimate goal of any enterprise is make money and please shareholders, and I get that. But when the management got carried away by their success on iPhone, watch it, Don't dwell on the success. Remember RIM/Blackberry? How easy to lose money if you were a one trick pony :-)
    And I believe the current Apple is just busy harvesting the fruit of seeds planted by Jobs. OK, fine, but please go back to the roots of Apple we used to know, and plant next seeds.
    I agree to a point. The iPhone is Apple's top selling product. In other words, that is the one product that customers want from them than any of their other products. Shouldn't Apple take steps to protect and maintain its top selling product? Without comparing Mr. Jobs to Mr. Cook, do you think the business approach would be any different under the current circumstances if Mr. jobs was still alive and running the company?
    05-20-2017 10:19 AM
    I agree to a point. The iPhone is Apple's top selling product. In other words, that is the one product that customers want from them than any of their other products. Shouldn't Apple take steps to protect and maintain its top selling product? Without comparing Mr. Jobs to Mr. Cook, do you think the business approach would be any different under the current circumstances if Mr. jobs was still alive and running the company?
    I guess what I was trying to get at under the title of this thread was Apple becoming too iOS focussed, becoming an almost a phone company (and high end iPhone price hovering around $1,000 level? Come on Apple. But I am in Canada), and neglected the other product lines (i.e., Mac, the true heart of Apple). Proof is their own open admission of it, and apology through media. Unprecedented for Apple.
    Hope we will begin to get updates of Mac line, keeping intruding competitions at bay... Let's keep what was making Apple, yes Apple :-)
    05-20-2017 10:37 AM
    I guess what I was trying to get at under the title of this thread was Apple becoming too iOS focussed, becoming an almost a phone company (and high end iPhone price hovering around $1,000 level? Come on Apple. But I am in Canada), and neglected the other product lines (i.e., Mac, the true heart of Apple). Proof is their own open admission of it, and apology through media. Unprecedented for Apple.
    Hope we will begin to get updates of Mac line, keeping intruding competitions at bay... Let's keep what was making Apple, yes Apple :-)
    I understood what you were getting at, and I wasn't trying to debate you. The all about money comment caught my attention and I wanted to bring attention and clarification to it. Otherwise and, in general, we are in agreement....
    05-20-2017 11:08 AM
    Apple doesn't make 100-200 dollar anythings. I bet a majority of the laptops being bought are the Chromebooks and cheapo Windows machines. If Apple wanted to be first in any market sales # wise they could by making low end units. I bet they are making more money than the four companies ahead of them.
    05-20-2017 12:59 PM
    STFU! My heart sinks. I mean asus is pretty bad ***...but for iPhone to be equal to Acer is a unprecedented.
    05-20-2017 11:04 PM
    Apple MacBooks may not be #1 in rankings, but I bet there #1 in longevity. That placement really doesn't bother me as I know my MacBook will probably out last them in the long run.
    05-21-2017 08:47 AM