Reports of hackers supposedly holding 300+ million Apple Accounts Hostage

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone heard about this? From this: story on Komando.com

"A group of hackers calling themselves the "Turkish Crime Family" claims to have gained access to a massive cache of iCloud and Apple email accounts. Access to these accounts could allow them to wipe everything from the victims' gadget remotely. They could also reset the victims' iCloud accounts.

The hackers allegedly have access to more than 300 million Apple email accounts. This includes people using @me and @iCloud domains.

The cybercriminals are demanding that Apple pay them either $75,000 in Bitcoin currency or $100,000 in iTunes gift cards. In exchange for payment, the group would then delete the alleged data cache. They are giving Apple until April 7 to make the payment.

One of the criminals told Motherboard, "I just want my money and thought this would be an interesting report that a lot of Apple customers would be interested in reading and hearing."

Apple has not made a public statement on the extortion attempt. It's unknown whether this threat is real, as the alleged stolen account details have yet to be verified. In the case that the threat is real, there are some security steps you should take before April 7."

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Reports of ackers supposedly holding 300+ million Apple Accounts Hostage

Yeah I'm not buying it, at least not until I hear it from more credible sources.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Yikes, that's nuts! I honestly wouldn't buy it either, though. It's sad when these so called "hackers" end up screwing people over because they immediately buy into the threat. Bitcoin... Who even uses that???

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just read this other story. I think it's a bluff, but I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to change passwords. It's such a pain to do so! ;)

Even if it is a bluff or fake news, it's still worthwhile to change your passcode, in my opinion, just in case. I did.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The cybercriminals are demanding that Apple pay them either $75,000 in Bitcoin currency or $100,000 in iTunes gift cards.

:rotfl:

Bah wah wah wah wah!!!!!!

Seriously? You're only asking for $100k? This is Apple. If they were asking for several million, I'd take it more seriously......or not.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe either article. I'll believe it when Apple makes an official statement to the public. Too many self proclaimed news sites are full of BS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711