Notifications where my devices are near?

Zulton

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Our family shares apps. So we have three iPads and two iPhones on the same Apple ID. I want The ability to be notified when one of them comes near me.

We use "Find my iPhone" to find family, but cannot seem to figure out how to make it notify us when we are near each other.

I started using "Find my friends", but cannot figure out how to add all our devices, so that we get notifications about each other.

Anyone know how, without getting separate apple IDs, to do one of the two things above, or another app that we could use? Like I find my family app! :).

Thanks!!
Zulton

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can do that but you all need separate Apple ID's. If you have your own Apple ID you can add that to your Find Friends and select the Notify option. You can select leaves a location or gets to a location. However it is not persistent so will need to set it every time.

Zulton

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the response bam for-hacker. We want to stay on the same ID, for sharing and keeping watch on what the kids DLs.

I updated my question with that.

Zulton

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You can still do that with separate IDs.
If you set up family sharing (https://www.apple.com/uk/family-sharing/#mn_p) you can set it to notify you every time a child tries to download an app. You can then approve the download or deny it. By default under 13s are forces to have this feature enabled (it's called Ask To Buy).

From there you'd setup find me friends geo fences so that you know who is where and when they get there.

I've got this set up and it works amazingly well.

Both my kids (9 and 5) have iPads for homework, face timing family and games at weekends and are always wanting something new. They have a simply Apple ID password to ask for new games and I get a notification on my devices when they want it. Without moving I can approve/deny it.

My 9yo has recently started being invited out with friends so she's got my old iPhone 5 which she's signed into. When she goes I set a geo fence around here intended location so I know when she's got there and when she leaves.

Mix it all with IOS restrictions and you'll be sure they are safe.

Zulton

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
dpscott thanks a ton!!! On your old phone, does it have to be signed up for service, for this to work? Or can it be done over wifi only?

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
dpscott thanks a ton!!! On your old phone, does it have to be signed up for service, for this to work? Or can it be done over wifi only?

It can be done on wifi only so works on iPads and iPod Touch as well :)

Obviously without wifi it won't update on the fly but for trips to friends and family where wifi is available it's great.

As well as letting the kids check where I am I can also check to make sure they don't take phone/iPads out without asking.

Search iMore and YouTube for "family sharing" videos.

I can provide screenshots as well before you take the plunge if you need

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73