Is the 6 plus still good to use?

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My wife likes her Android but it had an accident. She would like to try iOS on a used phone for a few months before deciding between the new iPhone and Pixel 2/Note 8 in the fall. I was thinking about buying her a used 6 or 6 plus. Is the 6 still good for day to day use with most normal usage patterns?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yup, people still use the 5s like crazy and it has worse specs so go ahead, the 6+ has better software and battery, I do know most people who use the 6/6s/7 end up getting a battery case so you might want to consider that as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The iPhone 6 is still a good iPhone and can run iOS 10 without a problem.

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Since she'll likely just use it until October or November usable software is more important than the latest specs if I can save a few bucks. For anyone with a 6 plus does the battery still hold a decent charge?

mchi5

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I've gone back and forth between a new android phone and my old trusty iPhone 6 Plus that I've had for over a year. Still super fast, and still amazes me it can hang with the high spec android phones

I just upgraded to iOS 10.2.1 on the 6 plus and it feels like a new iPhone.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife is still using a 6 plus and my daughter uses a 6. Both run very smoothly, still take great pictures and have good battery life(6 plus).

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I just got her a 64gb 6 Plus on Swappa.

@ frellingfrakker

The 64GB variant was definitely a wise decision. You never know, she may like it so much that she decides to keep it! I know with the launch of the new Pixels and iPhone Anniversary it will be very hard to keep it but its still an amazing phone. :)

Hope all goes well with it. Additionally, since the other phone had a 'Accident' i would recommend getting a case and maybe a screen protector. Just to make sure that it definitely lasts till her next upgrade. :D

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The 5C is still good to use, but I'm noticing a little bit of a slow down now, but overall pretty good.

One of the issues you may notice with 5Cs these days (and 5(s)) ANYTHING older than a 5S is that the battery may be suspect. iPhone batteries only have so many charges in them before they lose the ability to hold a charge. You can take your device in to an Apple Store for a diagnostic, AND for 79 dollars (probably not worth it) get a new battery.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
One of the issues you may notice with 5Cs these days (and 5(s)) ANYTHING older than a 5S is that the battery may be suspect. iPhone batteries only have so many charges in them before they lose the ability to hold a charge. You can take your device in to an Apple Store for a diagnostic, AND for 79 dollars (probably not worth it) get a new battery.

Yep five or six months ago I went to my electronic store and in 15 or 20 minutes for the cost of $50 they put in a new battery. Now that battery didn't have the Apple logo on it but he assured me that even Apple supplied batteries are made in China and that this one would be OK, so far so good no overheating or anything. The original battery was dying at about 20% and now I can go right down to 1% before I have to charge it.

What I'm really curious about and I'm not seeing anyone post a thread about it, but maybe someone could if they want to, is how the Apple App Store is demanding developers update all their 32 bit designed apps to 64 bit which is what all the current and newer devices use like iPhones and iPads. No one really knows what's going to happen this fall when Apple cleans up the App Store, but this might mean that those of us on older 32-bit iPhones might lose half their apps or the other thing that might happen could be the apps remain but eventually get buggier and buggier because there won't be any updates for them. I was reading about this on Appy-geek, pretty interesting. I think I will have to move onto an iPhone 7 this fall. I don't mind getting devices that are a little older or last year's model because I still find I can get years and years and years out of them.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. The 6 plus came in yesterday and is in great condition. It looks, feels and performs almost exactly like the 7 plus I got my Mom in the fall. Aside from the waterproofing and camera upgrade I'm not sure it would have been worth an extra $700 to buy a new 7 plus instead of a used 6 or 6s plus. This should hold my wife over just fine until the next big refresh comes which should be this fall.

spoofer09

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I got my wife's hand me down 6S + - not a bad phone - speaker phone is great for all my concalls!! And just updated to 10.3.1!!

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
My wife likes her Android but it had an accident. She would like to try iOS on a used phone for a few months before deciding between the new iPhone and Pixel 2/Note 8 in the fall. I was thinking about buying her a used 6 or 6 plus. Is the 6 still good for day to day use with most normal usage patterns?

Let's put it this way, oftentimes we buy the newest greatest just to have the newest greatest. Its all in the hype. The iPhones from 5 up still work fine and probably will for the foreseeable future. The 6 or 6 plus will be just fine.

SylvainLa

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Of course the iPhone 6 still good.A lot of people are still using iPhone 5.

I own a iPhone 6 Plus and I have no reason to replace it with a newer iPhone.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Not replacing mine until it just isn't functional anymore. Even though this one is two years old I still had 100% charge until 1pm today (took it off charge at 8am). Granted I was mowing the yard almost the whole time and didn't use it much, but even still at 5pm it's 77% with fairly heavy use for the last 4 hours. I have no problem with this phone when the only changes I see are the home button and how well the camera is on my wife's 7 plus. (I use a life proof all the time so water proofing isn't a big deal)