Opinion: Are Apps Dying?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
My DD is a Pixel and while that's immaterial to my question, it has some context regarding AI. I use Google Assistant daily; often for simple tasks .. calculations without opening the calculator, traffic,weather forecast when traveling, etc. This morning I used GA to make restaurant reservations via OpenTable for next week. I believe that Apple was a leader with Siri and while she's not what she used to be, I feel Apple will do whatever it takes to "right the ship".

People have been talking more about the demise of apps in favor for AI. The way I engage my device, I can see less and less apps in favor of AI commands at some point in the near future. IMO, hardware will always have it's place, but services are the future. So regardless of your ecosystem of choice, the assistant will be the primary point of engagement instead of apps.

I asked the same question on the AC side, but with Siri being such a relevant part of Apple I wanted to pose the question here as well. :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we're witnessing the demise of apps but I believe that many apps related to services will be streamlined into the experience on an on-demand basis. For instance, Siri—or whatever assistant you're using—could automatically access an OpenTable applet to make dinner reservations without requiring the end user to download and install the app itself.

Still, apps will be around for the time being. There are just too many use cases out there to cover all bases.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I can't see Apple doing that.... They have no concept of sharing between apps for security reason on iOS

I reckon apps will always stay around, their useful in a pinch when u don't need a fully fledged program.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe spending $1 to play apps are hurting but I'm an enterprise IT admin/exec and see some more powerful, capable and important than ever. A few from Cisco, Citrix and Microsoft are tremendous in a number of ways.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't see apps going away anytime soon. They're getting better and better. Siri may get more duties regarding services, but there's just a lot Siri won't be able to do. And many users don't even like to use Siri. I rarely do.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
People have been talking more about the demise of apps in favor for AI. The way I engage my device, I can see less and less apps in favor of AI commands at some point in the near future. IMO, hardware will always have it's place, but services are the future. So regardless of your ecosystem of choice, the assistant will be the primary point of engagement instead of apps.

I'm missing something. An app would still be necessary. Would it not? I mean, something would need to be launched in order for the device to type and send an email message for me.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm missing something. An app would still be necessary. Would it not? I mean, something would need to be launched in order for the device to type and send an email message for me.

I think, as things develop deeper, that programming will be built directly in the AI, Siri in this case. I mean, what's an app to any of us besides an icon on the phone. If Siri can schedule your appointments, play your favorite music, send emails, make calls, etc.. I think the natural progression is to remove the icons and make Siri the point of engagement instead of opening the app manually.

So maybe, in the beginning, the first step would be getting rid of icons for Apple's own apps like the calendar. Siri would take over that function without you manually opening on the app, but everything else would remain the same. You could still tap a date and schedule an appointment.

So to respond properly to your post, yes I think a program/app would be needed at first regarding something needing to be launched. But, I believe that programming will eventually be 100% baked into AI...say within the next 5 years. Apps, as we know them now as an icon on a screen, goes away.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't see apps going away anytime soon. They're getting better and better. Siri may get more duties regarding services, but there's just a lot Siri won't be able to do. And many users don't even like to use Siri. I rarely do.

Apple had a 5 year head start with Siri. At the time of it's launch, nobody had anything close. Apple has neglected that part of the user experience, thus why you see something like Amazon's Alexa driving deeper into people's lives. The Wynn hotel is Las Vegas is adding Alexa to all of their rooms as a matter of fact.

I think AI usage is increasing, and I believe you will see Apple become rededicated to a very robust and incredibly capable Siri.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I can't see Apple doing that.... They have no concept of sharing between apps for security reason on iOS

I reckon apps will always stay around, their useful in a pinch when u don't need a fully fledged program.

Not sure what security has to do with it.. I mean, users engage apps all the time for all kind of things. Siri would just take over that function.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't think we're witnessing the demise of apps but I believe that many apps related to services will be streamlined into the experience on an on-demand basis. For instance, Siri—or whatever assistant you're using—could automatically access an OpenTable applet to make dinner reservations without requiring the end user to download and install the app itself.

Still, apps will be around for the time being. There are just too many use cases out there to cover all bases.

Granted, I don't think it will be tomorrow or anything, but the next 5 years... absolutely. I think app icons start going the way of the dinosaur. I mean it's a matter of programming for sure, but I can see Siri doing more and the user doing less (such as opening an icon).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Granted, I don't think it will be tomorrow or anything, but the next 5 years... absolutely. I think app icons start going the way of the dinosaur. I mean it's a matter of programming for sure, but I can see Siri doing more and the user doing less (such as opening an icon).

I can't picture Siri doing photoshop edits on photos.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use Siri myself, and I imagine many people are in the same boat. Apps won't be going anywhere anytime soon I feel.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Weren't apps the 2nd or 3rd revenue producer for Apple? I thought I saw something on that from TechnoBuffalo. iPhone still #1 for Apple than apps I believe.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thats a tough one. i would still say Apps are here to stay even with the inclusion of Virtual Assistants. Sure, Apps like the calculator and weather might fall away because you can just ask your assistant whats the weather tomorrow or whats 5 x 3 and sure enough you will get an answer. Apps like games or the iMore App will always stay.

For example the one App i love to use is called 'Colour'. It allows me to take a picture of a awl in my house and then i can digitally repaint the wall and see what it would look like. Don't think my assistant can help with that. :)

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm laughing at what Siri can and can't do as well as her reactions in the context of being in IT admin with state of the art security appliances and web filtering. I get occasional flags regarding what people do or try to do. Some of that's stuff I wish I didn't have to face or learn but it is a smile to wonder what Siri would say.

These can be as simple as a WTF when I realize what's behind a site name or as serious as a recently ex employee's efforts to do sabotage.

It's not a laugh when I realize the power of some apps. I was between airport terminals on my way out of the country when the employee sabotage scenario happened. It sure drove home how and why players like Cisco and Microsoft will spend big on mobile apps even if sales of Candy Crush drop.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I rarely use Siri myself, and I imagine many people are in the same boat. Apps won't be going anywhere anytime soon I feel.

My friends/family that have iPhones are the same; not really interested in Siri. If it could do more, be more robust, do you think you might change if it made your life simplier?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Weren't apps the 2nd or 3rd revenue producer for Apple? I thought I saw something on that from TechnoBuffalo. iPhone still #1 for Apple than apps I believe.

I know you're right about about the iPhone and revenues. iPhone sales is definitely the bulk of it, so I can understand why that product line would get the lion's share of attention.

Regarding apps going away, I still think there would be a need for developers that wouldn't hamper their ability to make money. Perhaps instead of the app being sold to the user and placed on the phone, it would be more cloud based and associated with your account.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Thats a tough one. i would still say Apps are here to stay even with the inclusion of Virtual Assistants. Sure, Apps like the calculator and weather might fall away because you can just ask your assistant whats the weather tomorrow or whats 5 x 3 and sure enough you will get an answer. Apps like games or the iMore App will always stay.

For example the one App i love to use is called 'Colour'. It allows me to take a picture of a awl in my house and then i can digitally repaint the wall and see what it would look like. Don't think my assistant can help with that. :)

Indeed. I don't want to take away the programming either. More how you engage it.

Frexdestk

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site

Yep, apps will stay around cuz people use and demand.