Why haven't you switched to Android?

Fr33dive

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I have been using Android for years. I also sold wireless. I got out of selling around the time Apple was being released in the Verizon stores. I have always liked being able to customize etc but the past couple of months very unhappy . Updates ruin battery life among other issues been having. So decided to take the plunge because I liked the looks of the 7Plus. Played with it. Also did my research. One of my employees recently got it. Ordered on the 11th. Received on the 13th. Am impressed. Not looking back. Thinking about a Mac

I'm kinda an apple fan man. Sounds nasty but true. After dealing with Windows forever I went IOS and never looked back. iPhone 3GS and most models after, IMAC desktop 24" mid 2007.
While windows has improved tremendously due to competition and vice versa to some degree I still love MAC's and IOS and believe superior for me. Thing is I just want whatever I use to work with minimal PITA in the process.

You pay for what you get applies here. I would get AppleCare for both. Both Macs needed repairs after year 2-3. My 8 year old IMAC still Work's flawlessly. Albeit a little slow, but very happy overall.

The only negative is apple is getting a bit too big for their customers. The appointment thing is a PITA but necessary I suppose. BTW I tried a Galaxy S7 or something for a couple of weeks and wasn't my thing. The Apple ecosystem is great for big families like mine.

GOOD LUCK!!

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I think this debate will continue for years to come. I use Android primarily, but I'm always interested in what iPeople think about the subject.

Doesn't it really come down to ecosystem? Some say, users immersed in Google, should carry the iPhone and have both choices. People immersed in Apple's system, will always "choose" Apple hardware.

I'm curious how many IPhone users still use Google services (search, maps, etc) on a daily basis?

My iPhone is Google-fied. Yep I don't use Apple services. Even my photos I use Google Photos.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Best thing that Google ever made is Gmail. I've been using it since it first went beta when it was invite only. I have 5 gmail accounts and only get spam at one of them.... the one I use for forums and various news letters. Although I will be the first to scream that Gmail for cell phones is terrible, so I don't use it.

Google should of stopped and never made anything else after Gmail. IMHO it's their biggest and only true success.

Google has excellent services other than gmail. Surprisingly I find Google Photos better than iCloud. On the email side the Inbox app(by Google) I like way better than the native app. I use Google Maps and like it WAY better than Apple Maps. Google made Chrome right? I use Chrome on my iPhone and never use Safari.

Why do I use Google services and not Apple? For one Google is a tech company and the stuff they make IMO is a far better experience than Apple. Second Google is cross platform. At the computer at work for instance I am able to access my stuff because I'm cross plarformed with Google. I never ever log into iCloud. I have a gmail account that I use for my primary email. When I'm in gmail on my Mac or another computer I can easily access my stuff like docs, photos etc.

However I MUCH prefer Apples hardware and OS. You can easily use Google services on Apple products. iOS paired with Google is one heck of an experience. Some Google apps if not a lot run and look better on iOS. Apps like Facebook run more smoothly and don't look clunky like Android. With iOS you get updates. My co worker has a V20. Beast of a phone. But he even admits that a lot of apps don't look as crisp vs the iPhone.

However the Google Pixel could changing the landscape on the Android side.

Last edited:

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
What keeps you tethered to Apple? Have you thought about switching to Android, but just can't take the plunge?

Maybe you have a full Apple ecosystem and switching to Android would ruin your flow? Maybe Android's intimidating?

I've switched back and forth over the years, and even though iPhone is fun, something always keeps me going back to Android (and my first smartphone was the iPhone 5).

Let me know your thoughts!

I'm on an iphone 6. It works fine so i don't need a new phone. It'd be a waste of money.

Yes i thought of switching when i got the 6. I lined up all my apps to find out which ones i couldn't get on Android. Only downcast and i'm pretty sure i could get an adequate podcast app on android.

I'm not tied to the Apple ecosystem. I have an Amazon TV firestick, a roku, i don't use apple music. Android is very much a possibility especially after losing the headphone jack. But i don't need a new phone so i don't really care. I just put a new battery in my 6 and honestly, if it lasts two more years i'll be fine. Recent phone additions haven't at all given me any feeling that i need to buy a new phone regardless of platform and i'm quite happy i didn't. I don't buy phones yearly mind you. And bottomline, the differences between android and ios are not big deals for my usage. I could probably be happy with either.

fourthbase

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
A lot of people who are android devotees are interested in custom ROMs and the like whereas I have no interest in any of that. If it requires more effort than pressing update every now and again, I'm out.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly the Pixel most likely will get me to switch if the Pixel 2 IF it has just as good stuff as the iPhone 8.

I've been playing with a Pixel for a couple of days and so far it's pretty 'compatible' with the iPhone 7. It's buttery smooth and the apps are buttery smooth. I like how Google stuff is baked right in. The hardware although won't turn any heads like the iPhone 7 has a premium feel and look to it, simple hardware design. Doesn't have to fancy for me but has to be built well.

True vanilla Android I have to say is a good experience somewhat compatible with iOS. Google Assistant is WAY WAY better than Siri in my opinion. For my needs GA is a better fit since my iPhone is Google-fied. I use Google Now a lot on my iPhone via Chrome plus my Calendars etc are synced with Google Calendars app etc.

Last edited:

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have but never stay. I'm also an Alphabet stockholder - nothing against the company. I'm also an enterprise admin. For that and personal interests Apple has been a superior platform. More recently, I chose 7 plus dual camera over a Pixel. Now Apple Watch makes the platform more valuable to me.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I was a heavy android user after my blackberry days. After having an iPhone for work and seeing the smoothness on most simple things like scrolling through messages on an old iPhone was way smoother than on a newer android. My other reason for switching and this is my main reason is that it has made it easier to communicate with family. Being able to use FaceTime and not ask them to download another app like bbm or hangouts is just nice.

Now for my android itch with all the abilities that it has and my wantingness to toy with it. I use an android tablet at home for all the fun/open source stuff.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I've tried. I was a BlackBerry Loyalist who switched to iPhone and then tried BlackBerry's Android Devices. Then gave the Pixel a shot and liked it, but I just feel like Android requires extra steps for simple steps. Can't explain it, just a personal preference. I will definitely give the upcoming BlackBerry "Mercury" a shot. It might be the perfect blend I need. Time will tell if the "Mercury" is the right combo of Nougat, DTEK, HUB, and a Physical Keyboard.

To be honest, to the very last detail I choose iPhone just for single button you flick to go to Vibrate. I'm that lazy, lol.

1. BlackBerry 7100
2. BlackBerry 8703
3. BlackBerry Pearl 8130
4. BlackBerry 8830
5. BlackBerry Curve 9330
6. BlackBerry Bold 9650
7. BlackBerry Storm (PIECE OF ****)
8. BlackBerry Tour 9630
9. BlackBerry Torch 9850 (AMAZING)
10. BlackBerry Bold Touch 9930 (Best EVER)
11. iPhone 4
12. iPhone 5
13. BlackBerry Z10
14. BlackBerry Q10
15. BlackBerry Z30
16. iPhone 5s
17. BlackBerry Passport
18. BlackBerry Classic
19. iPhone 6 (Space Gray)
20. BlackBerry Porsche Design P'9983
21. iPhone 6 (Gold)
22. BlackBerry PRIV (Android Fail 1)
23. iPhone 6s (Space Gray)
24. iPhone 6s (Gold)
25. iPhone 7
26. BlackBerry DTEK50 (Wanted to like)
27. Google Pixel
28. BlackBerry DTEK60 (To Big)
29. iPhone 7

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
That's what swayed me back in the Android direction. Though folks say the Pixel is the "iPhone of Android", so that may be why. That being said, it may be the grand unifier that quashes the Marvel vs. DC-esque rivalry.

Though we know that'll never end :p

I've had a Pixel for a bit and it is the iPhone of Android. I like my iPhone 7 slightly better than the Pixel. If the iPhone had true multitasking like being able to play YouTube in the background while typing this this I would like my iPhone 7 more than slightly better.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had a Pixel for a bit and it is the iPhone of Android. I like my iPhone 7 slightly better than the Pixel. If the iPhone had true multitasking like being able to play YouTube in the background while typing this this I would like my iPhone 7 more than slightly better.

I think that Pixel is closest thing to iPhone in the Android arena, not just looks either. However, I still find iOS to just be simpler and I'm lazy. The one and only thing I like about the Pixel better than iPhone is FingerPrint sensor in the back. But even in the Pixel case they wasted that with a large lower lip anyway. Apple is just more innovative that if they moved the FingerPrint Sensor it would be to go edge to edge screen.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I think that Pixel is closest thing to iPhone in the Android arena, not just looks either. However, I still find iOS to just be simpler and I'm lazy. The one and only thing I like about the Pixel better than iPhone is FingerPrint sensor in the back. But even in the Pixel case they wasted that with a large lower lip anyway. Apple is just more innovative that if they moved the FingerPrint Sensor it would be to go edge to edge screen.

I actually like the finger print sensor in the back too.

MikhailT

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I've grown out of the need to try all the new toys and customizing for the sake of customizing it. Frankly, every time I try, I just revert back to stock after a while, so it is no longer bonus, it's just a hassle for me. If you ask me this question when I'm a kid, I'd say Android for everything listed on the article. Right now, I could care less about any of them and I'd go with iOS.

iOS is the most consistent experience I can find that doesn't require me to buy a new phone every two year to fix stuff. I've tried Android, they're great but I am not putting up with questionable update policy, hardware issues, horrible "Android skins"/slowdowns and so on. I already went through 3-4 Android phones and I'm done.

I still have my iPhone 5S with iOS 10 and I'm happy with it. I don't feel the need to upgrade it for another 2-3 years and that gives me the best bang for my bucks too. The next phone I upgrade will most likely be iPhone SE when iPhone 5S dies completely. I might consider Pixel as well but it all depends on what Apple and Google does with iOS/Android over the next few years.

As for iCloud, I had no issues with it and I barely get any requests to sign in. I don't know what makes you have to sign in that often but I barely have to sign in and Touch ID makes it a very quick 1-sec action. I rather have the security than gaining 10-20 seconds lost on the sign-in/unlock prompts.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods