Why haven't you switched to Android?

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
when I switched from my iPhone 5, I went to the Galaxy S5 and really enjoyed it for a while, but once I started using stock Android (Nexus 6P and Moto X Pure Edition, to an extent), I fell even harder in love with Android. That being said, I still find myself coming back to the iPhone 7 now and then because I love AirDrop and AirPlay — 2 things Android phones distinctly lack (I guess if you don't count Chromecast).

niharikasarma

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
For me, it's been one bad experience after another. I've used Android phones from two different companies, LG and Samsung. I hated both phones. First of all, I'm not good with phones so there was no point of even calling them smartphones. I just used my iPad most of the time and just used my phone for calls and messages. All that changed when I got the iPhone. I could understand stuff on the iPhone. I understand that Android offers a whole lot of versatility and is actually better for those that are good with technology, I'm just not one of those people.

Apple gets the job done without confusing me. That's all.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
That's very interesting, and I would agree with you (especially in the case of LG). Both manufacturers you mentioned have their own UIs, which can be confusing and weird. Pure Android, which you get with Google phones like the Nexus or Pixel, is far more straightforward and enjoyable. But I totally hear ya.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I used to use all OSes (BB, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Palm OS, etc) and switched from device to device. Then iPhone came out and I got one and loved it. Never owned an Android phone, but have had friends that would never switch from it, but the main pain point was the fragmentation (which still exists) and OS updates (which don't happen regularly). iPhone is a streamlined platform - no matter which carrier you are on the phone is always the same. Regular iOS updates and you have the best platform on the market. Not to mention, I have an Apple Watch and Apple TV. So yeah, I would not want to switch.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I do love that aspect of iPhone. When I was on my S5, I got so sick of waiting for updates, and the phone would just get more and more sluggish. At least if you have an older iPhone, you'll always be up-to-date. Older Android phones really do get left in the dust. Good call.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ha! Because with my Samsung devices, they all started out great with the OS they shipped out with. Every single time the software updates bricked the devices. So with my Note 3, I decided to refuse the update which Samsung promptly forced on me, crippling my phone. Before Samsung it was Motorola, those didn't take well to software updates either. So no, never again.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I usually buy the device that best fits my needs. I recently changed my service provider and as a result bought a new android phone as my daily driver. So far I am having a good experience; not too much different from my iPhone (which I still use).

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all platforms except Windows Phone. I stayed with BB10 until the end (Passport SE). But having tried a OnePlus One to represent Android I was frustrated, annoyed and found it messy and cluttered. So I went back to iOS after many years (last was the iPhone 4) and got the 6S plus. It's a joy but I do miss the physical keyboard from the BlackBerry. Apple Pay is seriously so much fun!

lenasnow

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Well, for me I prefer IPhone SE because it's working pretty fast and efficient,as I used Samsung S7Edge yesterday fore experience,it's really too slow to suit my needs. I love Os system. Alaways

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
A smartphone is a tool, you find the tool that does what you want when you want. iPhones do that for me, I don't want to customise it, to make it do different things than those I chose it for.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm certainly finding that as well. So far the only Android phone that has covered all my bases has been the Nexus 6P. Other Android phones had something missing (especially Samsung phones).

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have owned 4 Android devices. When using my last one, the Moto X, I realized I kept trying to make my Android device perform and look like an iPhone. I didn't use widgets or any of the extra things built into Android. I grew tired and bored of customizing my devices. I just want my device to work out of the box. In addition fragmentation, disjointed UI, finiky battery life, and lower quality apps are all real problems with Android. I grew tired of dealing with all these things.

I don't have to deal with any of that from my iPhone. I open the box and it works.

+1

falcon511

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been back and forth between the 2 for sometime. Recently I think I cemented my choice for iOS. Mostly because apple treats their hardware so well and it's incredibly well designed. I may switch to a Pixel someday. But Google needs to nail down their hardware and such. I mean get a great designed phone and start designing their own chips similar to apple. I think the A9 and A10 chips are what makes the iPhone a really premium device. The fact that apple dedicates these chips for its own OS makes it all the better. There really is no android device on the market that is as fluid and optimized for Android. I say this coming from a Nexus 6p. Which I loved but on the train to work, browsing twitter on my 6p actually made the phone get rather warm and the battery would drop to like 90%. On iOS a bad day it would drop to 95% and that's a big maybe.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I hear you. I think if Google started making its own phones with its own chips, it would rub the Android community the wrong way. Many Android "fans" detest Apple for that reason. That being said, with how great the Pixel is, that may not be a bad idea at all.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think this debate will continue for years to come. I use Android primarily, but I'm always interested in what iPeople think about the subject.

Doesn't it really come down to ecosystem? Some say, users immersed in Google, should carry the iPhone and have both choices. People immersed in Apple's system, will always "choose" Apple hardware.

I'm curious how many IPhone users still use Google services (search, maps, etc) on a daily basis?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If I can ask, why do you hate Google? (Other then spying)

They only support updating the phones they sell (from the Play Store) for a limited time, and then they no longer send out updates other than security ones. This makes a 600 or 700 dollar phone outdated long before any of the hardware can no longer be supported via new OS updates, unless you root and install a custom ROM. Apple supports their phones for many years.

Security updates are sometimes only added in OS updates instead of being pushed out immediately. Apple pushes security updates as soon as they have a fix. They don't wait.

And while this isn't necessarily a Google thing, when you buy an Android device from any carrier you get garbage apps that you cannot uninstall. Apple does not allow this. You will not find carrier garbage apps on an iPhone.

Every Android device I've owned with the exception of one, has been purchased outright from the Play Store. After going through a few phones that quit getting immediate OS updates (I ended up rooting and custom ROMing each one), I finally got annoyed enough to make the switch to iPhone. I'll never look back. iOS is a more robust and smoother running OS than Android ever was. I thought I would miss not being able to customize how things look, I find that I prefer having a secure phone rather than a pretty one (and being a girl, I do love a pretty phone). I miss the tinkering part of it, but it is what it is. Running beta seems to alleviate the need to tinker most times.

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I've had numerous Android phones since 2010. Throughout this time all but the Nexus line rarely got updates. I'd always have to flash a custom ROM as carriers never pushed updates to our phones. Android has lost favour with me on many fronts.

My favourite phone was the Nexus S it had Gingerbread (2.3.*) was small, fast and simple. After that it just got worse for me. Bloatware on the phones increased. Tracking and ads on apps annoying. I mentioned custom ROMs and respect the talent the developers I have rarely got something stable.

Apple reminds me of Gingerbread, at least on the surface. Having current updates is a treat. My last Samsung Alpha is still stuck on Lollipop 5.0.2. Anyway, I could rant all week however my energy is better spent doing more positive things.

Apple is just a more intelligent, intuitive and secure platform.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
What Sherry said. I'm a long time Gnu/Linux user and did not like my iPad at all when it was first gifted to me. A few hours with Android took care of that. It looked familiar and I liked being able to see the file structure but I quickly discovered that it was only a cosmetic advantage.

I like tinkering on my PCs and it's a bit of a blow to the ego to have to give so much blind trust to a major corporation on my tablet, but from what I have been able to learn, Apple is infinitely more trustworthy than Google.

It isn't a perfect solution for me by any means, but I like being able to sandbox certain apps that I need for modern life and keep a separate philosophically pure Debian install on PC for hobby/intellectual stimulation purposes and most of my daily computing.

The iPad takes care of me and gets the job done with aspects of modern life and computing that don't particularly interest me so I have more time to tinker on the PCs. I guess it's a normal part of aging that eventually you just have to shrug and accept these things.

No android for me. I'm embarrassingly clumsy with iOs, but content with my decision to accept and enjoy my beautiful gift.

With a bit of help from the FileBrowser app and my brain, I don't see how I am likely to get too tied to the Apple ecosystem to switch if there is ever a readily available inexpensive tablet that will run my PC OS of choice. However, if I am ever in a position where I absolutely have to choose between using a Microsoft or an Apple PCs, maybe in a public place or an old folks home, I would absolutely choose to wait in line for the Mac after my brief and limited experience with the iPad.

italodance

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Because Android is dead, Most games and apps are coming to iOS first and it takes 2 to 5 months for coming on Android, So What's the point? Also as a fully legal customer who always buy anything from Appstore and iTunes i have to say the quality of Apple Music, TV Shows and Movies are way better than anything else.
You can watch media on any iOS and PC/Mac device but The device you buy media on google play would be the only one for using your own purchases.
Don't forget iTunes Extras on Movies cause it's unique.
iCloud on Apple devices is so easy and comfy so you don't need neither Hard Copy of your archive nor external hard drivers. welcome to the future!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro