Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By metllicamilitia
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By eve6er69
  • 2 Post By metllicamilitia
  • 1 Post By dchandler
  • 1 Post By Evilguppy
  • 1 Post By aokusman1
  • 1 Post By metllicamilitia
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,019 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

    Default Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fanboy, though I know many will say I am. Yes, I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and MacBook Pro, that's only because I enjoy Apple products and the user interfaces. I am a lover of all tech though, and yes I pre ordered an iPhone 7 Plus. So what's this about? This is about Apple breaking the internet again and consuming the media. The 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. This is not new though, there have been numerous Android phones that ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack already.

    Here's the thing though, no one pays attention until Apple does it. The media inhales all things Apple and creates a whirlwind of news posts and forums explode claiming the demise of Apple, how Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and bashes on any major changes Apple makes. The fact remains though that Apple is still one of the largest companies in the world and people continue to buy their products. More than that, when Apple makes major changes the world follows, simply because of the media coverage. Look at the rise of mp3 players due to the iPod. The touch screen interface becoming mainstream due to the iPhone, thinner lighter laptops lacking disc drives due to the MacBook, wireless payments due to Apple Pay, Apple sets the bar.

    There's no reason why Apple should set the bar, that's just the way it is. Now they've removed the 3.5mm headphone jack. The internet is flooded by the hatred behind this decision and the need to buy adapters in the now. However, the world will follow. Bluetooth headphone will become much more popular, as will new lightning headphones. Chances are in the next couple years it will be hard to find a phone with a headphone jack. Even in the world of Hi-Fi audio, I predict to see a larger stride in Hi-Fi companies making better bluetooth headphones because they know many people use their phones for audio, which I will never understand. Shout if you must, just remember the world follows Apple, things will get better in a world without the 3.5mm headphone jack.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fanboy, though I know many will say I am. Yes, I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and MacBook Pro, that's only because I enjoy Apple products and the user interfaces. I am a lover of all tech though, and yes I pre ordered an iPhone 7 Plus. So what's this about? This is about Apple breaking the internet again and consuming the media. The 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. This is not new though, there have been numerous Android phones that ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack already.

    Here's the thing though, no one pays attention until Apple does it. The media inhales all things Apple and creates a whirlwind of news posts and forums explode claiming the demise of Apple, how Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and bashes on any major changes Apple makes. The fact remains though that Apple is still one of the largest companies in the world and people continue to buy their products. More than that, when Apple makes major changes the world follows, simply because of the media coverage. Look at the rise of mp3 players due to the iPod. The touch screen interface becoming mainstream due to the iPhone, thinner lighter laptops lacking disc drives due to the MacBook, wireless payments due to Apple Pay, Apple sets the bar.

    There's no reason why Apple should set the bar, that's just the way it is. Now they've removed the 3.5mm headphone jack. The internet is flooded by the hatred behind this decision and the need to buy adapters in the now. However, the world will follow. Bluetooth headphone will become much more popular, as will new lightning headphones. Chances are in the next couple years it will be hard to find a phone with a headphone jack. Even in the world of Hi-Fi audio, I predict to see a larger stride in Hi-Fi companies making better bluetooth headphones because they know many people use their phones for audio, which I will never understand. Shout if you must, just remember the world follows Apple, things will get better in a world without the 3.5mm headphone jack.
    Outstanding!...
    Tartarus likes this.
  3. #3  
    Truman82's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Haters will hate.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Well said sir!
  5. #5  
    Evilguppy's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    It's insane the reluctance some people have to try something new.
  6. #6  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,996 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,912 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    The Moto Z also has no 3.5mm aux jack. Apple isn't even the first company to remove it.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Nice
  8. #8  
    eve6er69's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    I don't think haters are going to hate but more Apple users are passionate about things than android users. So the things android people were used to and apple started doing were normal for us android people but then apple users praise it because of their passion so you hear more about it. Also the news outlets cover them more than any other brand because of that. After a galaxy event you hear the news on tech sites. After an Apple event I see it on my local news. It's just how things go with them.

    I'm typing this on a 6S btw also so I'm not a fanboy. I just know both ends because I usually switch between os's every year or so.
    luvesuga likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,019 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    I don't think haters are going to hate but more Apple users are passionate about things than android users. So the things android people were used to and apple started doing were normal for us android people but then apple users praise it because of their passion so you hear more about it. Also the news outlets cover them more than any other brand because of that. After a galaxy event you hear the news on tech sites. After an Apple event I see it on my local news. It's just how things go with them.

    I'm typing this on a 6S btw also so I'm not a fanboy. I just know both ends because I usually switch between os's every year or so.
    Yes, and unfortunately that's why Apple rules the mainstream and sets the bars and standards. It seems no one listens (except tech enthusiasts) until Apple does it. Sadly it doesn't matter who does it first, all that matters is when Apple does it.
    Tartarus and luvesuga like this.
  10. #10  
    eve6er69's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Yes, and unfortunately that's why Apple rules the mainstream and sets the bars and standards. It seems no one listens (except tech enthusiasts) until Apple does it. Sadly it doesn't matter who does it first, all that matters is when Apple does it.
    Yup. Agreed.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    To be honest, I'm never surprised when apple release a product only because I know they are going to do a top notch job on the product. Apple is A1 in my book
    Rob Phillips likes this.
  12. #12  
    eve6er69's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by dchandler View Post
    To be honest, I'm never surprised when apple release a product only because I know they are going to do a top notch job on the product. Apple is A1 in my book
    They do a great job at taking some other companies ideas and polishing it to work well on their systems.
  13. #13  
    Evilguppy's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,839 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    They do a great job at taking some other companies ideas and polishing it to work well on their systems.
    Exactly.
    Personally I don't give a fig about who does it first, that is meaningless to me.
    But when Apple decides to put something forth, let's say Apple Pay for example.
    Google Pay was first, but I would never trust my financial information to Google.
    I've never had ANY issues with Apple Pay.
    I won't even try the newest and bestest put out by Samsung et al.
    luvesuga likes this.
  14. #14  
    eve6er69's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    565 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,441 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    Exactly.
    Personally I don't give a fig about who does it first, that is meaningless to me.
    But when Apple decides to put something forth, let's say Apple Pay for example.
    Google Pay was first, but I would never trust my financial information to Google.
    I've never had ANY issues with Apple Pay.
    I won't even try the newest and bestest put out by Samsung et al.
    Google and Apple I feel would be the same as far as security to its users. To each their own.

    I have been using Apple Pay in a lot of places lately.
  15. #15  
    iOS Gravity's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,965 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,577 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Apple fanboy, though I know many will say I am. Yes, I have an iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, and MacBook Pro, that's only because I enjoy Apple products and the user interfaces. I am a lover of all tech though, and yes I pre ordered an iPhone 7 Plus. So what's this about? This is about Apple breaking the internet again and consuming the media. The 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. This is not new though, there have been numerous Android phones that ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack already.

    Here's the thing though, no one pays attention until Apple does it. The media inhales all things Apple and creates a whirlwind of news posts and forums explode claiming the demise of Apple, how Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and bashes on any major changes Apple makes. The fact remains though that Apple is still one of the largest companies in the world and people continue to buy their products. More than that, when Apple makes major changes the world follows, simply because of the media coverage. Look at the rise of mp3 players due to the iPod. The touch screen interface becoming mainstream due to the iPhone, thinner lighter laptops lacking disc drives due to the MacBook, wireless payments due to Apple Pay, Apple sets the bar.

    There's no reason why Apple should set the bar, that's just the way it is. Now they've removed the 3.5mm headphone jack. The internet is flooded by the hatred behind this decision and the need to buy adapters in the now. However, the world will follow. Bluetooth headphone will become much more popular, as will new lightning headphones. Chances are in the next couple years it will be hard to find a phone with a headphone jack. Even in the world of Hi-Fi audio, I predict to see a larger stride in Hi-Fi companies making better bluetooth headphones because they know many people use their phones for audio, which I will never understand. Shout if you must, just remember the world follows Apple, things will get better in a world without the 3.5mm headphone jack.
    The 3.5 mm headphone jack is borrowed tech from the audio world. As far as I know, bluetooth headphones are not even capable of getting the same audio quality as wired headphones. Not to mention that bluetooth alternatives are way more expensive when compared to wired headphones of similar quality. As long as the mainstream still uses them, they are not going away any time soon. The brands that removed the headphone jacks are also brands that not as many people purchase from hence the lack of publicity surrounding them. If Samsung had done this before, there would've been the same level of reaction. Just my $0.02.
  16. #16  
    iOS Gravity's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,965 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,577 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilguppy View Post
    Exactly.
    Personally I don't give a fig about who does it first, that is meaningless to me.
    But when Apple decides to put something forth, let's say Apple Pay for example.
    Google Pay was first, but I would never trust my financial information to Google.
    I've never had ANY issues with Apple Pay.
    I won't even try the newest and bestest put out by Samsung et al.
    They're just as secure. Apple just advertised more about it and made it simple with Touch ID, something that wasn't widespread when Google Wallet was announced. The funny thing was that a few years ago Apple didn't seem to be interested in the NFC technology that makes Apple Pay possible and were trying to find an alternative. What I'm trying to say is that companies copy each other all the time and whoever makes it easier and seem more safer to use wins.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,019 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by iOS Gravity View Post
    The 3.5 mm headphone jack is borrowed tech from the audio world. As far as I know, bluetooth headphones are not even capable of getting the same audio quality as wired headphones. Not to mention that bluetooth alternatives are way more expensive when compared to wired headphones of similar quality. As long as the mainstream still uses them, they are not going away any time soon. The brands that removed the headphone jacks are also brands that not as many people purchase from hence the lack of publicity surrounding them. If Samsung had done this before, there would've been the same level of reaction. Just my $0.02.
    No doubt Bluetooth audio has a long way to go, that's why I'm predicting greater strides in the Hi-Fi audio world for better Bluetooth audio. Time will tell, however I still foresee this being the beginning of the end for the 3.5mm jack.
  18. #18  
    anony_mouse's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    No doubt Bluetooth audio has a long way to go, that's why I'm predicting greater strides in the Hi-Fi audio world for better Bluetooth audio. Time will tell, however I still foresee this being the beginning of the end for the 3.5mm jack.
    I disagree. Do people really expect Bluetooth to be added (at extra cost) to audio amplifiers, TVs, every seat on every long haul plane, etc? Will people accept that they have to charge their headphones (that's really the killer for me)?

    I don't believe that wireless headphones will replace all wired headphones, so we will continue to need a wired headphone connector. Lightning is proprietary to Apple so also can't be a universal replacement. USB-C could be possible I guess, but why not just stick to the current connector?
  19. #19  
    aokusman1's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    They do a great job and at the same time lack in other departments. I love my 6s but damn the screen needs to be at least 1080p. My opinion anyway. Personally I'm not passionate about electronics and but whatever works for me at the time. I have no brand loyalty.
    qbnkelt likes this.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,019 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by anony_mouse View Post
    I disagree. Do people really expect Bluetooth to be added (at extra cost) to audio amplifiers, TVs, every seat on every long haul plane, etc? Will people accept that they have to charge their headphones (that's really the killer for me)?

    I don't believe that wireless headphones will replace all wired headphones, so we will continue to need a wired headphone connector. Lightning is proprietary to Apple so also can't be a universal replacement. USB-C could be possible I guess, but why not just stick to the current connector?
    Yes, Bluetooth is already in a lot of newer TV's, though I don't know anyone who uses headphones while watching TV. Amplifiers will end up being built into Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones and non Hi-Fi won't have them, just like now. Planes? When has a plane ever been up to date? Planes are too expensive to keep up to date. Charging, if it's true, there's already a set of Bluetooth headphones on kickstarter that supposedly never need charging. So give it time, you're looking at technology solely as it is right now and not where it's going or can go. I was actually surprised Apple didn't go to USB-C this year, they eventually will, and they'll kill their proprietary connector.
    luvesuga likes this.
  21. #21  
    anony_mouse's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Yes, Bluetooth is already in a lot of newer TV's, though I don't know anyone who uses headphones while watching TV. Amplifiers will end up being built into Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones and non Hi-Fi won't have them, just like now.
    So we will need wired headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Planes? When has a plane ever been up to date? Planes are too expensive to keep up to date.
    So we will need wired headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Charging, if it's true, there's already a set of Bluetooth headphones on kickstarter that supposedly never need charging.
    Reference please?
    Think about it - Apple's "ear-tampons" have a quoted battery life of five hours with that weird hanging-down bit. How long would you expect "headphones that never need recharging" to last? Let's say five years at two hours of use per day. That's 2x5x365=3650 hours. That is 730 times as long. Do you know of a battery technology on the horizon with an energy density 730 times better than we can achieve today? The best I see quoted for improvements currently in the laboratory phase tends to be 2-3 times. So there's a very very very very very very long way to go.
    BTW, if such a battery technology were to exist, your iPhone would last about two years between charges.

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    So give it time, you're looking at technology solely as it is right now and not where it's going or can go.
    I absolutely am not doing that. I am looking at where technology can realistically get to in the next few years. Bluetooth headphones that never need recharging are definitely not going to happen in the lifetime of the iPhone 7 (or 8, 9 or 10).
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 09-15-2016 at 09:24 AM.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,019 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,719 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by anony_mouse View Post
    So we will need wired headphones.



    So we will need wired headphones.



    Reference please?
    Think about it - Apple's "ear-tampons" have a quoted battery life of five hours with that weird hanging-down bit. How long would you expect "headphones that never need recharging" to last? Let's say five years at two hours of use per day. That's 2x5x365=3650 hours. That is 730 times as long. Do you know of a battery technology on the horizon with an energy density 730 times better than we can achieve today? The best I see quoted for improvements currently in the laboratory phase tends to be 2-3 times. So there's a very very very very very very long way to go.
    BTW, if such a battery technology were to exist, your iPhone would last about two years between charges.



    I absolutely am not doing that. I am looking at where technology can realistically get to in the next few years. Bluetooth headphones that never need recharging are definitely not going to happen in the lifetime of the iPhone 7 (or 8, 9 or 10).
    Worst case scenario? Wireless receivers. However, those using Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones with built in headphone amps will be set, those without won't care.

    Endless Battery Bluetooth Earphones
  23. #23  
    anony_mouse's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Worst case scenario? Wireless receivers. However, those using Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones with built in headphone amps will be set, those without won't care.
    Unfortunately I can't follow you. Charging wireless headphones is going to be necessary, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    "Endless" is not strictly accurate. They appear to be conventional wireless headphones that, of course, need charging. They come with a larger battery strung between two recharging cables, meaning that they can be recharged from the separate battery while in use. That battery, of course, will also need to be charged. Not a bad idea, but it doesn't solve the problem that the headphones do still need recharging. And the wearable battery doesn't look that comfortable.
  24. #24  
    Friendzone's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Sets the Bar Again

    My 2012 pickup is NOT going to like this decision, it doesn't have Bluetooth, just an audio jack.

Similar Threads

  1. Why can't I reset my apple account security answers ?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 05:55 PM
  2. Why does my iPhone not crop pictures again
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 05:53 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
  4. Why am I not hearing the keyboard clicks?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM
  5. My IPad Air 2 no Touch ID in settings
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions