Apple Sets the Bar Again

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Bluetooth is already in a lot of newer TV's, though I don't know anyone who uses headphones while watching TV. Amplifiers will end up being built into Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones and non Hi-Fi won't have them, just like now.

So we will need wired headphones.

Planes? When has a plane ever been up to date? Planes are too expensive to keep up to date.

Charging, if it's true, there's already a set of Bluetooth headphones on kickstarter that supposedly never need charging.

Reference please?
Think about it - Apple's "ear-tampons" have a quoted battery life of five hours with that weird hanging-down bit. How long would you expect "headphones that never need recharging" to last? Let's say five years at two hours of use per day. That's 2x5x365=3650 hours. That is 730 times as long. Do you know of a battery technology on the horizon with an energy density 730 times better than we can achieve today? The best I see quoted for improvements currently in the laboratory phase tends to be 2-3 times. So there's a very very very very very very long way to go.
BTW, if such a battery technology were to exist, your iPhone would last about two years between charges.

So give it time, you're looking at technology solely as it is right now and not where it's going or can go.

I absolutely am not doing that. I am looking at where technology can realistically get to in the next few years. Bluetooth headphones that never need recharging are definitely not going to happen in the lifetime of the iPhone 7 (or 8, 9 or 10).

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Reference please?
Think about it - Apple's "ear-tampons" have a quoted battery life of five hours with that weird hanging-down bit. How long would you expect "headphones that never need recharging" to last? Let's say five years at two hours of use per day. That's 2x5x365=3650 hours. That is 730 times as long. Do you know of a battery technology on the horizon with an energy density 730 times better than we can achieve today? The best I see quoted for improvements currently in the laboratory phase tends to be 2-3 times. So there's a very very very very very very long way to go.
BTW, if such a battery technology were to exist, your iPhone would last about two years between charges.

I absolutely am not doing that. I am looking at where technology can realistically get to in the next few years. Bluetooth headphones that never need recharging are definitely not going to happen in the lifetime of the iPhone 7 (or 8, 9 or 10).

Worst case scenario? Wireless receivers. However, those using Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones with built in headphone amps will be set, those without won't care.

Endless Battery Bluetooth Earphones

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Worst case scenario? Wireless receivers. However, those using Hi-Fi Bluetooth headphones with built in headphone amps will be set, those without won't care.

Unfortunately I can't follow you. Charging wireless headphones is going to be necessary, right?

"Endless" is not strictly accurate. They appear to be conventional wireless headphones that, of course, need charging. They come with a larger battery strung between two recharging cables, meaning that they can be recharged from the separate battery while in use. That battery, of course, will also need to be charged. Not a bad idea, but it doesn't solve the problem that the headphones do still need recharging. And the wearable battery doesn't look that comfortable.