How does the Trade-In Program work?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 Plus that I would like to trade-in to get an iPhone 7 Plus but the information regarding the Apple Trade-In Program is about as clear as mud.

Here's the wording on the Apple web site...
Can I trade in my current device?
Yes. If you sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program in an Apple Store, the trade-in credit will be applied to your credit card. If you sign up online, you will receive a gift card after a short time.

Offer only available on presentation of a valid, government-issued photo ID. You must be at least 18 years old. Value of your current device may be applied toward purchase of a new Apple device. Trade-in values may vary based on the condition and model of your smartphone trade-in. Offer may not be available in all stores and not all devices are eligible for credit. To see if your device is eligible, please visit Apple’s approved partner for the trade-in and recycling of eligible devices. Some stores may have additional requirements. You will be required to agree to the full terms and conditions available at the Apple Store. Online and in-store values may vary. Apple reserves the right to refuse or limit the quantity of any device for any reason.
Yeah... clear as mud. I want details man! Give me the details with full verbose mode enabled.

But what credit card are they talking about in that statement? Is it the credit card that you hand over to pay the initial price with or the one you get when you sign up for the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program (the Citizens Bank card/loan/account ah whatever it's called)?

The reason I'm asking this is that in the past (that is if my mind serves me right), you could trade-in an older device and then take the money you got from the trade-in and apply it to the purchase of the new iPhone under the upgrade program and it would lower your monthly payment. Is this option no longer applicable?

Can someone please clear some of this up for me?

dd0723

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 Plus that I would like to trade-in to get an iPhone 7 Plus but the information regarding the Apple Trade-In Program is about as clear as mud.

Here's the wording on the Apple web site...

Yeah... clear as mud. I want details man! Give me the details with full verbose mode enabled.

But what credit card are they talking about in that statement? Is it the credit card that you hand over to pay the initial price with or the one you get when you sign up for the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program (the Citizens Bank card/loan/account ah whatever it's called)?

The reason I'm asking this is that in the past (that is if my mind serves me right), you could trade-in an older device and then take the money you got from the trade-in and apply it to the purchase of the new iPhone under the upgrade program and it would lower your monthly payment. Is this option no longer applicable?

Can someone please clear some of this up for me?

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing as well. I didn't join the trade program but now I want to trade in my 6plus and use that money towards the new iPhone 7 but on the monthly payments.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that they're referring to the credit card you bring with you that day to the store to purchase the new phone. Unless I'm mistaken they will not use your trade in credit directly toward the new phone to lower the monthly payment.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73