Somebody PLEASE school me on... Snapchat

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
What the hell is it, why do all my friends keep urging me to get it, why is it supposedly so flippin cool?
I'm even noticing a Snapchat add right here on imore on the right side of my screen, lol.
So what is Snapchat and why do I want it?

... Yes, I'm an old broad and my kids taught me how to turn on a computer and text. LOL.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Snapchat is a photo- and video-messaging app. It launched in 2011.

Snapchat is unique in that all photos and videos only last a brief amount of time before they disappear forever, making the app ephemeral in nature, though you can take a screenshot of snaps to save them in picture form. As of May 2014, the app's users were sending 700 million snaps a day.

Due to the instant popularity of Snapchat, Facebook reportedly offered to acquire Snapchat for $3 billion. One of the app's cofounders declined the cash offer however. Facebook later launched a similar app (Slingshot), which failed.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Snapchat can also send text messaging, also allowing only for a single view. You can also create stories, which is a collection of photos/videos that stay viewable to your followers for 24 hours until they disappear. This is the longest anything will remain on Snapchat, unless you save your own snaps to memories and/or the camera roll. Yes you may screenshot what others have snapped, however this will also notify the other person that you have taken a screenshot of their snap. Due to the nature of Snapchat's disappearing posts, it did not take long for it to have "adult" tendencies.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's a millennial thing. Aside from what has been said here, it has the worst and most cluttered UI in the history of third-party apps. I had friends urging me to get on board and when I did I deleted my account in 2 days. At least on Instagram I can follow some cool accounts that post some awesome pictures. On Snapchat, the popular accounts just post a ton of stuff I'm not interested in.

willows3

Jun 10, 2010
www.myspace.com
Lol! It's just a fun way to show your family and friends what you're doing throughout the day. They only stay on your feed for 24 hours and then disappear :). Which is cool so you can be as pointless, and silly as you like. A cool feature I love is how you can shot all day with pictures and videos and then save them at the end of the day so it's this one long video. Long view vid but still lol. Great for birthdays and trips :)!

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Snapchat is fun, has some famous people news, etc and is actually a pretty good messenger if anything else. The special effects are cool. I have taken a pic of Keanu Reeves, and face swapped it to me (because friends say I look like him) and you can freak them out making a vid as any celebrity you want lol.

Let's just say it's the opposite of "boring" and people usually get BORED too easily, but to avert this, they change some of the facial special effects everyday.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Snapchat is for teenagers imo. I really don't see the point of it other than it wasting your time.

Kind of like any social media.

I know lots of adults that use it, just for sharing pictures, etc., back and forth. But the teens i know use it constantly even just to chat, taking pictures of the floor just so they can send notes back and forth. Now that I don't get.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have it, and can honestly say that I have found it the most difficult app to use! To me it's non-intuitive and annoying! I've become that kind of Aunt.... Begging for help every time I see my nephews, who to date, have been wonderfully patient! I've been tempted to delete it, but refuse because I feel if I would give up, lose the ability to keep up with ever changing technology!

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have it, and can honestly say that I have found it the most difficult app to use! To me it's non-intuitive and annoying! I've become that kind of Aunt.... Begging for help every time I see my nephews, who to date, have been wonderfully patient! I've been tempted to delete it, but refuse because I feel if I would give up, lose the ability to keep up with ever changing technology!

To be honest I'm very happy with iMessage, lol: I must be a vanilla texter :laughing:

I also use Kik Messenger to chat with online friends, I like it because it uses a screen name instead of your phone number so it's completely private.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What the hell is it, why do all my friends keep urging me to get it, why is it supposedly so flippin cool?
I'm even noticing a Snapchat add right here on imore on the right side of my screen, lol.
So what is Snapchat and why do I want it?

... Yes, I'm an old broad and my kids taught me how to turn on a computer and text. LOL.

LOL Omg this cracked me up because I'm in the same boat!!!! Lol I'm big on social media but I actually have to sit next to one of the kids so then can school me on Snappychat.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
To be honest I'm very happy with iMessage, lol: I must be a vanilla texter :laughing:

I also use Kik Messenger to chat with online friends, I like it because it uses a screen name instead of your phone number so it's completely private.

I think iMessage works great. Initially, I downloaded Snapchat because I work at a University, and thought that posting stories about an ongoing event might draw more attendance. Since most college kids use Snapchat regularly, it's a good way to get their attention. Now I just need to continue to try and figure it out!!!!

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
For a quick video or funny vine type video it's awesome. I use it all the time. Especially with the people at work. Also it's great for having a picture convo. If that makes sense. Haha

I hated it at first but I've grown to really like it. You just have to have good snapchat friends.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Snapchat is for teenagers imo. I really don't see the point of it other than it wasting your time.

There was a time when only teenagers played video games and now even seniors homes use them to keep their minds sharp and stimulate neutral activity. A lot of games have ratings for adults only, not talking about Mario either.

Times have changed

Bayzero

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Anyway I once used it for few hours and I never gets back on it, never knew it does video call... Buy if Snapchat has a video call, then its cool and may be I will go back to it.

mousebrat2006

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A good chunk of people don't, so you're in good company. It seems to be in the same vein as WhatsApp users or any other random, popular messaging service out there. I love it for the insight I get into friend's lives, but others use it to communicate exclusively. I think I may be on the older end of this millenial thing.

ICraig

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Its more popular in the teen and young adult demographic. It's just an exciting and innovative picture "sharing" app.
I say download it if you often share things with friends or family in the form of pictures. Otherwise, you'll be fine without it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234