iCloud Drive storage options

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to know if I keep my documents in iCloud Drive will it take any space on my iPhone memory or it works like Dropbox or any cloud storage?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Documents stored in iCloud Drive don't take up space on your device. You are correct in your assumption that it works like Dropbox.

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. By the way what is difference between iCloud and iCloud Drive. And can I keep my photos in iCloud Drive just like Dropbox where I can delete photos from iPhone but keep a copy on iCloud Drive?

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Actually my iPhone storage space is 16gb and I am looking forward to purchase additional storage for iCloud i.e 50gb. I want to transfer all my photos and documents from Dropbox and box in iCloud Drive.

Ian_Leo

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
iCloud is a collection of online services that are provided to you from Apple. iCloud helps you with storing your device backups, your contacts, photos and other media that you use. It helps you sync these files across your iphone, ipad, Mac or any other apple device that you are using. Whereas, the relatively newer offering iCloud Drive, offered starting in 2014, is similar to Google Drive or Dropbox if you have used those services in the past. You can think of iCloud Drive as an online hard disk that is available for you to store any type of files. It offers you free 5GB storage and you have the choice of upgrading it to up to 1 Terabyte drive by paying extra. you can actually have multiple copies of your digital assets on iCloud. Like you mentioned, it more or less works like Dropbox with phone-enabled and synchronization feature. You can actually link your iPhone with iCloud Drive, that can enable your data to be synced, however, if you want to keep safe copy, you can upload data separately on iCloud drive.:)

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
iCloud is a collection of online services that are provided to you from Apple. iCloud helps you with storing your device backups, your contacts, photos and other media that you use. It helps you sync these files across your iphone, ipad, Mac or any other apple device that you are using. Whereas, the relatively newer offering iCloud Drive, offered starting in 2014, is similar to Google Drive or Dropbox if you have used those services in the past. You can think of iCloud Drive as an online hard disk that is available for you to store any type of files. It offers you free 5GB storage and you have the choice of upgrading it to up to 1 Terabyte drive by paying extra. you can actually have multiple copies of your digital assets on iCloud. Like you mentioned, it more or less works like Dropbox with phone-enabled and synchronization feature. You can actually link your iPhone with iCloud Drive, that can enable your data to be synced, however, if you want to keep safe copy, you can upload data separately on iCloud drive.:)

Thank you for the brief reply and so what you suggest should I opt for 50gb iCloud as it suits my need. Secondly do you have any idea that would I be paying per month or I can book for a whole year and can I downgrade to free option at any time?

Ian_Leo

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the brief reply and so what you suggest should I opt for 50gb iCloud as it suits my need. Secondly do you have any idea that would I be paying per month or I can book for a whole year and can I downgrade to free option at any time?

I prefer using iCloud if you have other iOS-enabled devices.It helps us in efficient synchronization between different devices. You can start with a monthly plan and there is definitely an option where you can downgrade to the free version you opted before. As for the annual plan, I believe they still have this in the dashboard.

You may check the pricing here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201238 it varies per country.

P.S: I prefer annual pricing method as it is a better option for person like me. ;)

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Khizer,

if you remove photo's from your iphone that you have synced using icloud, then they also will be removed from icloud and your other devices.
So that works differently than dropbox, which you use as an external drive.
What you can do to save space is turn on the optimize function in your photos so it will save smaller files on your phone and only when you open it, it will download the full version from icloud so you can see it in full resolution.

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi Khizer,

if you remove photo's from your iphone that you have synced using icloud, then they also will be removed from icloud and your other devices.
So that works differently than dropbox, which you use as an external drive.
What you can do to save space is turn on the optimize function in your photos so it will save smaller files on your phone and only when you open it, it will download the full version from icloud so you can see it in full resolution.

What I think you save photos in iCloud Drive then it works same like Dropbox but if you are talking about iCloud photo stream then I agree deleting from device will delete it from iCloud

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, save photos on icloud drive should just work for you, just test it with a photo:
take a picture, save on icloud drive and delete from your photos.
See if it's still on icloud drive.
if so, then you know :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Could you explain how to upload photos to iCloud Drive where you can then delete those photos from the camera roll?

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I guess iCloud Drive is like box where you will upload selected photos and iCloud photo stream is where you sync photos with the mobile photo app

jronan

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
But how can you upload/transfer a photo/s from camera roll to iCloud Drive without attaching them in an email? Yes, for 1 or 2 photos it is manageable to save to iCloud Drive(by email then saving in iCloud Drive) otherwise it is not practical. Any tips out there?

Khizer Hayat2

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
But how can you upload/transfer a photo/s from camera roll to iCloud Drive without attaching them in an email? Yes, for 1 or 2 photos it is manageable to save to iCloud Drive(by email then saving in iCloud Drive) otherwise it is not practical. Any tips out there?

I guess now you can do it straight from the photo app on your iPhone. You just need to select photo and it will give you a option to add to iCloud Drive. IMG_1474812981.115039.jpg

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
All that is nice but one has constantly to be connected on the internet. It is not everyone that has unlimited data plan.
What one do when out of reach?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234