Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pkcable
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Does pausing a FaceTime video call use the same amount of data as when the video was active?

When switching from FaceTime video to audio I only need to click the home screen button on my iPhone. Does this mean I am using the same amount of data as in an audio call?
  2. Best Answer

I'm no network engineer, BUT my basic understanding is that yes pausing the video would save data, as not as much info has to be transmitted. Now FaceTime audio, and a regular voice call are a different story. A regular voice call should use no data at all, but a FaceTime audio call would be voice over IP and it WOULD use data, BUT not use any of your plan phone minutes (IF you have limited phone minutes). But audio does use less data than video.

Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    39,658 Global Posts

Default Re: Does pausing a FaceTime video call use the same amount of data as when the video was active?

I'm no network engineer, BUT my basic understanding is that yes pausing the video would save data, as not as much info has to be transmitted. Now FaceTime audio, and a regular voice call are a different story. A regular voice call should use no data at all, but a FaceTime audio call would be voice over IP and it WOULD use data, BUT not use any of your plan phone minutes (IF you have limited phone minutes). But audio does use less data than video.
    Tartarus likes this.