Do you guys use Apple Pay?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know that Home Depot was accepting Pay again. Or at least I thought it stopped. Same with Subway. I was there yesterday and they didn't have a contact reader. I guess it's on a store by store basis.

I was also at Lowe's- they had what I needed and Home Depot didn't. I have to make another trip, so I'll look for a reader.

I'll just mention I've got a 5s so Pay is only through my watch, and using it is much more convenient and subtle than using a phone. It can be so quick the cashier doesn't even notice until they get the Authorized notification on their screen!

To whoever asked, it's possible that any given store's contact reader supports Pay whether or not it's posted, but that doesn't mean they do. It's worth a shot though.

Thanks for that link, Led!

MTMSPA

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Use it every where possible - gas, groceries, Best Buy, etc. I use my watch. Reactions are varied. Early on, it was damn, you just paid with your watch to, how does that work.

D00mM4r1n3

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I try to use it wherever possible but sadly there are only 2 places near me that accept it: McDonalds and Walgreens.

It has worked perfectly for me at Walgreens every time, I even added their rewards card and ApplePay is used for that as well. The process goes: dump items on counter for clerk to ring up, hold phone near reader and authorize for Walgreens reward card, wait for clerk to finish ringing items up, hold phone near reader and authorize for payment. It has consistently been the most reliable of any place I go to.

On the other hand, McDonalds has become spotty the last few months. I've had difficulty getting the authorization to work with their reader. I've tried holding the phone in different positions but it has not made a difference. It will detect ApplePay and ask for my thumbprint to authorize, my phone will show the check mark that it accepted my thumbprint but the terminal will fail to register any payment having been made. I have also never tried using it in a drive through, I'm a bit shy and don't want to ask them to hold a reader out their window for me to do the transaction with ApplePay. If the reader were somehow mounted outside of the drive through window I would definitely give it a go.

I've had odd experiences at other places where they have an NFC reader. For example, I managed to use ApplePay at a Hardee's restaurant once, but every visit after that it no longer worked. Unfortunately, I do most of my shopping at places like Target and Wal-Mart. The latter seems like a lost cause and it seems like Target may be double-backing on their original plan of supporting it towards the end of this year. I've heard Jewel-Osco is supposed to support it but none of their locations near me do.

paulthefencer

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
You mention you use it for on line purchases. I'd love to know how you do that? What sites can you buy from. I'm dying to use it for that as well so I don't have to keep giving out my credit card, but I don't know what sites take Apple Pay, or how it works.

Thanks,
Paul

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I used it for the second time at Panera Bread and I got yelled at by the clerk at the register for not waiting for her to enter my whole order in.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You mention you use it for on line purchases. I'd love to know how you do that? What sites can you buy from. I'm dying to use it for that as well so I don't have to keep giving out my credit card, but I don't know what sites take Apple Pay, or how it works.

Thanks,
Paul

With macOS Sierra they will implement online Apple Pay.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2768135%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=B6HeG4O0

Should be pretty slick.

Right now there are some apps that have it, but I don't use any right now, personally.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
LOL hilarious. Why are people so rude? And to think I'm spending my money there, too...

Its just the one clerk. We went there this week and she got in trouble from the manager for yelling at customers to go to the end of the line over by bakery. Ordinarily the place is pretty good service.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I use it fairly often when ordering things online via apps. But I've never used it at a physical store. I don't really go to McD's, Starbucks, and those kind of common places that have it available.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I use it fairly often when ordering things online via apps. But I've never used it at a physical store. I don't really go to McD's, Starbucks, and those kind of common places that have it available.

Unfortunately it isn't available at the Starbucks physical store, though you can use it with the Starbucks app for online purchases.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
They have Apple Pay at Subway Sandwiches here, and that is the only time I saw it advertised anywhere. I asked the girl working and she said hardly anyone uses it. I think it might be more popular in the US?