Is the iPhone OS substantially more stable than Android? Looking for a phone that just works

J Dubbs

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I've been through both a windows 10, and a higher end android 6.0 phone lately, and both gave me nothing but grief with their OS bugs and glitches :mad:
I'm tired of always fighting with my phones anymore to get them to do what they're suppose to, and have heard iPhones are the most stable of the bunch.
I'm a very light phone user, mostly just use the phone as a phone. The only option I use heavily is the Cortana/Ok Google features. and I've heard Siri is the best as well.

I don't care about looks or specs, as long as it has a 5+ inch screen and works reliably I'm happy. iPhones seem pretty spendy for what you get, but if it works without hassles and is one less thing I have to fight with I would consider it money well spent. I'm about ready to break out one of my old flip phones and go back to the basics :eek:
Any feedback is appreciated :)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
TLDR; If you use a phone like a phone you DEFINITELY can't go wrong with an iPhone. If Ok Google is a big draw for you then an Android will be your best bet and I strongly recommend a Nexus device.

I've been back and forth between iPhones and Android for years. The "iPhone just works" mantra is very true as it does, just work. That is one of the main reason I always come back to it after a stroll in the Android forest. If you want to dabble in Android land I'd recommend getting a Nexus 6P, if you can't wait until whatever the new Nexus will be called is released. I only state this because you stated that you already use Ok Google features heavily. If I remember correctly, those work but you have to have the Google app open on iPhone in order to use that feature. With a nexus device, you can just say it from any screen (or with the screen off). Nexus devices are simple without fluff just like iPhones and they seem to work fine as well from my experience. Plus, it's the only Android device that you're going to get anything close to iOS'like software support from the OEM because it doesn't have all the added skins etc that manufacturers add on top of Android...looking at you Samsung & LG. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
None of the smartphones are perfect. But the iPhone probably is the most stable overall. The only way your gonna know if it's for you is to try one. I've been using the iPhone for over 4 years and love it. I currently use the 6s Plus. There are differences you'll need to get used to. Like iTunes, iCloud, no back button, etc. Try one and see how you like it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
@Mumfao and @Ledsteplin both did an excellent job in their responses. The only thing I will say is this: If you're simply asking which OS is more stable iOS will outperform Android. It's really, really hard to argue against that. Apple is better at pushing out updates as well. If a major bug or security issue is discovered Apple generally pushes out updates within a few days or less.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually the latest Windows builds are actually pretty stable. I recommend checking out the production builds for Windows 10. Though red stone builds for
Windows 10 aren't too bad either.

iOS is far more stable than android though. If you insist on switching, you'll have a much better experience with iOS simply because you don't have to waste time constantly tweaking it to make it a good product aka what you do with android.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally these days I'd disagree with people on the stability standpoint. I'd say iOS and Android are about neck and neck. I get just as many force closes, keyboard glitches and slight lag on iOS than I'd gotten on my HTC. But neither are frustratingly poor performers. They are smart devices and they will have their quirks. But a high end Android device, in my experience, will perform just as well as an iOS device. You may experience slightly more lag in Android just because it's a more powerful OS. iOS offers an ease of use unlike no other OS. You really can just pick it up and go. Its the most straight forward in my opinion. I'd say for you, iOS may be the way to go if you don't need a whole lot out of your device. But not because it's more stable. I just don't believe that to be true anymore.

J Dubbs

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the honest and useful feedback...keep it coming :)
So far it sounds like an iPhone might be something I should try...although I do understand nothing's perfect ;) I have already tried the latest windows build, they are getting better, but I wanted a bigger screen and there's no more bigger screened windows phones being sold except the 600 dollar 950's.....too much money for the last of their kind. The 640xl's are out of stock everywhere and Nokia aint' makin' anymore lol. And the OS still isn't even as good as android from my experience.

It sounds like android is getting better, but my experience with 6.0 so far has been a huge turn off, if I could still return my phone I would and roll that money into an iPhone ;)

My only real concern is the iPhone prices for the hardware you're getting, and no sd card slot. The adoptable sd card storage on my android is brilliant, and the best thing about android imo. Not too keen on non-replaceable batteries tho :(

If I wanted to try an iPhone with a 5+ screen and stable OS version (and Siri :) ) without breaking the bank what would you guys recommend?
I'll be buying outright, don't need a lot of memory, and don't mind used/refurbished from a trusted source.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My only real concern is the iPhone prices for the hardware you're getting, and no sd card slot. The adoptable sd card storage on my android is brilliant, and the best thing about android imo. Not too keen on non-replaceable batteries tho :(

If I wanted to try an iPhone with a 5+ screen and stable OS version (and Siri :) ) without breaking the bank what would you guys recommend?
I'll be buying outright, don't need a lot of memory, and don't mind used/refurbished from a trusted source.

From a quality perspective, Apple's hardware is second to none IMO. I would argue that the premium price matches the build quality. Non-expandable memory is just something you get with iPhone. I'm not defending it but I've been using iPhones for six years and I'm over not having an SD card slot.

If you're looking for a larger screen your only two choices right now are the 6 Plus and 6s Plus. I would go with the 6s Plus just to get double the RAM, plus the faster processor, faster TouchID sensor, and 3D Touch certainly don't hurt to have.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: 6S Plus..In addition, being the latest iPhone doesn't hurt either. It should see software support from Apple for another 3-4 years easily!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: 6S Plus..In addition, being the latest iPhone doesn't hurt either. It should see software support from Apple for another 3-4 years easily!

My son's iPad 2 is running iOS 9 and it was released in 2011. Apple just now cut off support with iOS 10. That being said, it runs iOS 9 terribly. I have a feeling Apple would have already stopped supporting the iPad 2 if they weren't pushing services so much.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Now that's what I'm talking about! :)

Yup, definitely the 6s Plus (due to screen size you wanted), and 128GB if you're concerned about space. Or if you can hold off until September, the newer models are reported to go up to 256GB but that could always change.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup, definitely the 6s Plus (due to screen size you wanted), and 128GB if you're concerned about space. Or if you can hold off until September, the newer models are reported to go up to 256GB but that could always change.

He said "without breaking the bank" and that is literally the most expensive model of iPhone available, lol. Although the only options are the 6S Plus and the 6 Plus for the screen size desired.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
He said "without breaking the bank" and that is literally the most expensive model of iPhone available, lol. Although the only options are the 6S Plus and the 6 Plus for the screen size desired.

There are a lot of people who use that phone and haven't broken the bank. Without access to his financial records, I have no way of knowing. It fits what he wants, at least. The rest is up to the OP.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of people who use that phone and haven't broken the bank. Without access to his financial records, I have no way of knowing. It fits what he wants, at least. The rest is up to the OP.

It is absolutely up to the OP. I just found it humorous is all. No offense intended.

steve_w_7

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site

The 6s series phones will also be able to utilize the expanded 3D touch capabilities of iOS10 when it is released. Anything prior to that will not.

Nogitsune Micah

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everybody for the honest and useful feedback...keep it coming :)
So far it sounds like an iPhone might be something I should try...although I do understand nothing's perfect ;) I have already tried the latest windows build, they are getting better, but I wanted a bigger screen and there's no more bigger screened windows phones being sold except the 600 dollar 950's.....too much money for the last of their kind. The 640xl's are out of stock everywhere and Nokia aint' makin' anymore lol. And the OS still isn't even as good as android from my experience.

It sounds like android is getting better, but my experience with 6.0 so far has been a huge turn off, if I could still return my phone I would and roll that money into an iPhone ;)

Pretty sure lumia 950s aren't $600 anywhere these days.

Furthermore depending where you live they have a buy one get one free. Meaning you can get a 950 x and sell the 950.

More importantly the lumia 1520 is still a beast in 2016. You can get them off eBay for less than $200 and stores like expansys USA and Amazon also have 640 xl for under $200

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh