Found an iPhone and it's locked. How can I find out who the owner is?

I

iMore Question

found a iphone its locked

I found a iPhone, its locked how do I know its the right owner trying to claim it , they gave a a code when typed in it says phone is disabled

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: found a iphone its locked

Welcome to iMore!

Ask for IMEI or Serial #. If it has Touch ID ask them to open it in front of you

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I found a iPhone, its locked how do I know its the right owner trying to claim it , they gave a a code when typed in it says phone is disabled

If the phone is disabled then you cannot see the serial number. Turn it in at your local Apple store. If the right person comes in to claim the phone (Apple will probably contact them) they'll need both a State ID and proof of purchase (receipt has serial number and other identifiers on it) in order to get the phone.

california governor

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

If the phone is disabled then you cannot see the serial number. Turn it in at your local Apple store. If the right person comes in to claim the phone (Apple will probably contact them) they'll need both a State ID and proof of purchase (receipt has serial number and other identifiers on it) in order to get the phone.

Remember each iPhone has it's IMEI etched on the back. Just saying, good advice nonetheless.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Remember each iPhone has it's IMEI etched on the back. Just saying, good advice nonetheless.

Thanks!

Mine doesn't. It only has the model number listed, the FCC number, and an IC number. No IMEI... that would worry me if it did. I bought mine directly from the Apple store, so it's legit.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Apple says not to return found phones to them. They say turn it in to the police.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

Thanks!

Mine doesn't. It only has the model number listed, the FCC number, and an IC number. No IMEI... that would worry me if it did. I bought mine directly from the Apple store, so it's legit.
you are right. IMEI number is reported on the box, not on the phone.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

you are right. IMEI number is reported on the box, not on the phone.

The varied responses are interesting here. Both my 5s and the SE both have IMEI numbers on the back. I got the 5s secondhand, and I got my SE directly from the Apple Store. I wonder why it is so varied. Hmm.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

The varied responses are interesting here. Both my 5s and the SE both have IMEI numbers on the back. I got the 5s secondhand, and I got my SE directly from the Apple Store. I wonder why it is so varied. Hmm.

After some research this is what I found;

IMEI is listed on:

6s - SIM Tray
6s Plus - SIM Tray
6 - Back Cover
6 Plus - Back Cover
SE - Back Cover
5s - Back Cover
5c - Back Cover
5 - Back Cover
4s - Nowhere on the outside
4 - Nowhere on the outside

I find this a bit shocking. The IMEI number should be protected on the inside of the phone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Realistically there is very little that can be done with an IMEI number. One wouldn't get very far with only that number.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Realistically there is very little that can be done with an IMEI number. One wouldn't get very far with only that number.

You're wrong. I'm not going into a "HowTo" here and I'm not going to mention specific illegal activities, so do your own research. If you want to go off-topic, please begin a new thread.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

You're wrong. I'm not going into a "HowTo" here and I'm not going to mention specific illegal activities, so do your own research. If you want to go off-topic, please begin a new thread.

I replied to the conversation that was taking place. Technically you already went off topic by listing all the phones and where there IMEI numbers are located in a thread that had NOTHING to do with that.

Hypocrisy is real, eh?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

After some research this is what I found;

IMEI is listed on:

6s - SIM Tray
6s Plus - SIM Tray
6 - Back Cover
6 Plus - Back Cover
SE - Back Cover
5s - Back Cover
5c - Back Cover
5 - Back Cover
4s - Nowhere on the outside
4 - Nowhere on the outside

I find this a bit shocking. The IMEI number should be protected on the inside of the phone.

Start a new thread if you're going to go off topic please. :rotfl:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
calm down mate... The discussion about IMEI is quite interesting.

Lol, I was trying to contribute to that discussion with my comment....

And was told...

Despite the fact that you were all already having the discussion. Crazy how that works...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR