I intend to move to Ireland later this year - can my American iPhone be used in Ireland?

I

iMore Question

I intend to move to Ireland later this year - can my American IPhone be used in Ireland

Can I get an Irish sim card into the American phone - is it possible to use the phone there with an Irish account, or do I have to buy a new phone there and abandon the Iphone that I now own ...

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: I intend to move to Ireland later this year - can my American IPhone be used in Ireland

Check the apple website for the list of phone models cross referenced against supported frequency bands. Some US sourced phones will work ok on European networks. Others don't support the full range of frequencies for some of the euro networks.

Adding.... it all depends which US network your phone was intended to match, and which frequency bands are used by the target european network. The phone will work to some extent for sure, and it may be fully supported - but in the worst case you might find it supports incompatible high speed bands (4G/LTE) and you have a phone working only at reduced speed on 3G/2G. You might even find the same mismatch between US networks - don't expect a phone originally designed for AT&T to guarantee best performance on Verizon or TMobile, and vice-versa

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner