Restoring from backup causes "a bunch of radio/processor overhead"???

I

iMore Question

From Rene Ritchie's video review: http://www.imore.com/iphone-se

"...restoring from backup causes significant radio and processor overhead as everything gets re-downloaded and re-indexed."

Does this imply that we should not be restoring our new iPhones from a backup?

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Depends if you want to retain your data or start with a clean new phone. The comment is more a warning that there will be heavy activity restoring the data, which might have time and battery impacts. Phone performance will also be hit while the downloaded data is re-indexed.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
No, it's just for the first several hours as you re-download everything and processes like Spotlight reindexing content. Wi-Fi can't sleep and the processor can't power down, so you drain faster than normal.

It's not a bad thing, just a physics things. Once it's done, and you're completely restored, everything should be fine.

Rene

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Exactly,

Me loading from new, has to pull in 24GB of data, which includes all my photos. I download them all to the device, plus loading applications. I am causing my network to work it's **** off and the device gets fairly warm as well!!!

I normally plug in using a iPad charger pack and cable to hold it to a decent charge cycle. vs the standard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll