Hi, do I have to have my iPhone switched on when charging my Smart Battery Case?

I

iMore Question

I usually switch off my iphone each night to charge it - but when I have the Smart Battery Case attached it does not seem to charge the case (but it charges the phone!).

If the phone is switched on it starts charging the case!

Just wanting to check if my case is faulty.

Thanks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! You shouldn't have to have your iPhone turned off for your case to charge. After all, the whole point of having it is the ability to power your iPhone without interruption. Keep in mind it will take quite a bit longer to charge given two batteries are being juiced up instead of one.
Try charging overnight and see what happens. If your case battery still isn't charged then it's probably an issue with the case.
I don't know for sure but your Smart Battery Case may not start charging until your iPhone is completely charged.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that, maybe I do have a faulty case, it charges perfectly when the phone is switched on but never when it's off - are you positive that it is meant to charge while off? Will take it back to Aplle if that is the case...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I never said the phone should be off. How do you know the case isn't charging when the phone is off? According to Apple it shouldn't matter whether the phone is on or off. Also make sure you have the latest version of iOS installed.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205443
My advice: Bring the case and your iPhone into an Apple Store and have a Genius look at it or contact Apple Support.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks once again most helpful - I know it's not charging the case when the phone is off because when I switch on the phone in the morning it says phone 100% and case 0%. Interestingly it does charge the battery case when it's plugged in on it's own without the phone attached. I'll go into the Apple Store as you suggest.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Interestingly, I went to the Apple Store - they knew nothing about this issue but gladly replaced my Smart Battery Case - only to find the replacement one has the exact same issue.

So I think we can conclude that your charger will NOT charge your Smart Battery Case while the phone is switched off.

Think they need to fix this in the next iOS update!!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I went to the Apple Store - they knew nothing about this issue but gladly replaced my Smart Battery Case - only to find the replacement one has the exact same issue.

So I think we can conclude that your charger will NOT charge your Smart Battery Case while the phone is switched off.

Think they need to fix this in the next iOS update!!

I don't think iOS has anything to do with the case not charging while the phone is off. Is there a reason you're turning it off at night? The Apple Store probably hasn't heard of the issue because the vast majority of users keep their phones turned on.
If you're simply trying to not be disturbed at night try using Do Not Disturb instead.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure there are those who do not always keep the case on their phones... so how would you charge a completely dead iPhone if the charger will only charge the phone when it's on? I would think that would be a fairly huge design flaw if this is the case. No pun intended. ;)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - I turn my iPhone off each night as its next to my head and I'd rather not have radio waves buzzing around me while I sleep! :)

Anyway - I'm sure I must have an issue now maybe with my phone (6s) - because you must be able to charge it while its off - the main battery charges while its off!

Off to the Apple store again to see if there is a view.

What I would like is if someone who owns a Smart Bettery Case can confirm if it charges while off??

Thanks all for your responses....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR