Find my iPhone & Security

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi. What i like about iPhones is they have a built-in system of finding your lost device when you can't remember where you put them or if its gets stolen.

But what if your phone has lost battery or the person who stole it turned it off or reset it my question is will i still be able to find my phone? Will it register a "last known location" on the system? And what if the person has long left that last known location?

Please advice. Many thanks.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
First, the person in possession of you iPhone can not reset your iPhone without knowing your Apple ID & password. But here is a [URL="https://www.apple.com/ca/icloud/find-my/#mn_p]link[/URL] to all that Find My iPhone can do for you from Apple. Should answer all you question from what I read and know myself about the app.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Since 2014, you've told us that you've owned an iPhone 5C, an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6S. In November of 2014, you even described yourself as intermediate level with regard to technical stuff. Having said that, what's up with all the noob questions?

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I had an iPhone 6S but sold it a few months ago due to reasons.

With all due respect i am not asking these "noob" questions (whatever that means). I'm merely asking a question in case there has been updates/changes to iOS and iPhone usage itself.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Hi. What i like about iPhones is they have a built-in system of finding your lost device when you can't remember where you put them or if its gets stolen.

But what if your phone has lost battery or the person who stole it turned it off or reset it my question is will i still be able to find my phone? Will it register a "last known location" on the system? And what if the person has long left that last known location?

Please advice. Many thanks.

Your phone will automatically send its location to Apple when the battery is critically low as long as it was enabled in Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone.
01a553bb4325917c2e24ce0618aa4a35.jpg

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Find my iPhone & Security

Your phone will automatically send its location to Apple when the battery is critically low as long as it was enabled in Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160131/01a553bb4325917c2e24ce0618aa4a35.jpg

I have this enabled on mine but I don't think it will do anything if the phone is turned off. I would imagine the battery implications of constant updates to Apple with the phone's location would be quite heavy.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I will set my iPhone to NOT do automatic updates.

But do you guys think if the Find my iPhone and Send last Location is turned on would that use up significant battery life?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I have this enabled on mine but I don't think it will do anything if the phone is turned off. I would imagine the battery implications of constant updates to Apple with the phone's location would be quite heavy.

I should have been more specific. Find my iPhone will NOT work if the device has been turned off.

I will set my iPhone to NOT do automatic updates.

But do you guys think if the Find my iPhone and Send last Location is turned on would that use up significant battery life?

No.

I'm not sure where automatic updates came into the conversation here but I recommend keeping them on. Set them to only download when you're on wifi. Apps should be updated anyway, so why not spare yourself the headache of having to do it yourself?