Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Question

Default Should I buy a temporary international plan for my iPhone prior to going to Japan for 3 weeks?

Long story about why I waited until now to purchase an iPhone 6s, which we won't bother with here; I am way overdue, and own a very well seasoned 4S. I finally went into the AT&T store today, prepared to purchase a new 6S, thinking I could get a subsidized model, only to learn they shut that program down YESTERDAY. Serious disappointment.

That said, I still need to get a new iPhone asap and will do so. My question: I am going to Japan for three weeks and want to be able to use my phone there without incurring crazy charges. What to do? It has been recommended I purchase a temporary international plan from my carrier, but I have also been told I should just buy a local (Japanese) sim card, but that seems sketchy.

What is best for US owners when traveling to Japan?

Default Re: I have so many, where to start?

Then you've answered your own question. Go ahead and purchase a "temporary international plan" from your carrier.
    iMore Expert

930 Posts

Default Re: Should I buy a temporary international plan for my iPhone prior to going to Japan for 3 weeks?

May want to consider a prepaid SIM. Check out the News section in the link below. This may provide some details of interest that meet your criteria. I have not used the site below, but have done so with a similar option when visiting another country.

Prepaid SIM for JAPAN | NTT Communications